Username:
Password:
Save Password

Join TIJ Forums
Lost Password?
Subscribe to TIJ's Newsletter

All Forums > Technical Forums > Exteriors Forum >

Another Vinyl Siding Question

Previous Topic: Rain Screen Siding Systems - Topic - Next Topic: Would you call this? New TopicReply to TopicShare Topic
Posted By  
View Profile
Charleston, SC
Currently offline offline

Thread Start First Page
[#1] Posted: 08/24/2010 - 1:30:42 PM
I’ve got a question. Was house wrap or a moisture barrier required behind vinyl siding on a house built in 1998? I understand the importance for a moisture barrier behind vinyl siding because of the number of joints and that vinyl siding is not a moisture proof exterior siding. I’ve read the current installation standard from the Vinyl Siding Institute as well as many post on the TJI. The only information I could come up with omitting a moisture barrier is from this article. http://inspectapedia.com/BestP...Wrap.htm I don’t believe this house falls under any of these categories. I will definitely include in the report the importance of a moisture barrier behind vinyl siding but don’t want to raise any red flags that don’t need to be raised if this was a common practice in 1998. I only found wet OSB wall sheathing around the chimney where there was some loose trim and siding. One of the garage windows was not trimmed and I could see some black plastic around the window. Other than that there were no signs of moisture intrusion or a moisture barrier. Any help is appreciated.

www.palmettoinspectionservices.com
View Profile
Spring Hill (Nashville area), Tennessee

[#2] Posted: 08/24/2010 - 1:59:47 PM
Quote: Originally posted by palmettoinspect

I’ve got a question. Was house wrap or a moisture barrier required behind vinyl siding on a house built in 1998? I understand the importance for a moisture barrier behind vinyl siding because of the number of joints and that vinyl siding is not a moisture proof exterior siding. I’ve read the current installation standard from the Vinyl Siding Institute as well as many post on the TJI. The only information I could come up with omitting a moisture barrier is from this article. http://inspectapedia.com/BestP...Wrap.htm I don’t believe this house falls under any of these categories. I will definitely include in the report the importance of a moisture barrier behind vinyl siding but don’t want to raise any red flags that don’t need to be raised if this was a common practice in 1998. I only found wet OSB wall sheathing around the chimney where there was some loose trim and siding. One of the garage windows was not trimmed and I could see some black plastic around the window. Other than that there were no signs of moisture intrusion or a moisture barrier. Any help is appreciated.

I don't think a moisture barrier or house wrap was required until 2006 in the IRC. I can't look it up right now, but for some reason 2006 is standing out as the year.

Scott Patterson
http://www.traceinspections.com

"Minds are like parachutes they only function when open"
View Profile
Charleston, SC

[#3] Posted: 08/24/2010 - 2:11:53 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Scottpat

Quote: Originally posted by palmettoinspect

I don't think a moisture barrier or house wrap was required until 2006 in the IRC. I can't look it up right now, but for some reason 2006 is standing out as the year.

Thanks Scott. Looking forward to hear what you have to say.

View Profile
Lexington, KY

[#4] Posted: 08/24/2010 - 2:32:44 PM
There's a local company here--that's in the top 50 nationwide in the units-sold column--that hasn't used a WRB behind vinyl in over a decade. They still don't, as far as I know. This is ass-backward Kentucky, but this company, for the most part, plays by the rules.
View Profile
State: PA & NJ

[#5] Posted: 08/24/2010 - 3:30:34 PM
Scott is correct. WRB was not a requirement in the IRC until the 2006 edition.
Bill Kibbel, Historic & Commercial Building Inspections - Old House Resources
View Profile
Collins, NY

[#6] Posted: 08/25/2010 - 1:15:56 PM
Could you clarify that? Was there no WRB requirement before 2006, or just for vinyl?
Tom

http://clearcreekhomeinspection.com/

Life is tough enough as it is, it's tougher when you're stupid. Don't do stupid things.
Dr Joe Lstiburek
View Profile

[#7] Posted: 08/26/2010 - 05:51:21 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Tom Raymond

Could you clarify that? Was there no WRB requirement before 2006, or just for vinyl?

Just for vinyl.

Scott Patterson

View Profile
Gaston, Oregon

[#8] Posted: 08/26/2010 - 08:33:28 AM

Vinyl, aluminum, steel, particleboard, plywood, & wood siding.
None of them required sheathing paper before the '06 IRC.

- Jim Katen, Oregon

Jim Katen, Oregon
www.amipdx.com
View Profile
Charleston, SC

[#9] Posted: 08/26/2010 - 10:56:23 AM
Thanks guys. Always alot of help.
View Profile

[#10] Posted: 08/26/2010 - 12:08:57 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Jim Katen

Vinyl, aluminum, steel, particleboard, plywood, & wood siding.
None of them required sheathing paper before the '06 IRC.

- Jim Katen, Oregon

Thank you, I never looked the others up and I just assumed it was required.... I think vinyl siding is the only one I have ever seen without it.

Scott Patterson

View Profile
Collins, NY

[#11] Posted: 08/26/2010 - 1:52:02 PM
Same here Scott, well mostly. My house has no building paper under the original wood claps. The first addition doesn't have any paper either, but the second addition has red rosin paper on it and near as I can figure it was built in the late 1890's.

I see lots of vinyl installed right over the sheathing, and every time I take one apart there is water damage.

Tom

http://clearcreekhomeinspection.com/

Life is tough enough as it is, it's tougher when you're stupid. Don't do stupid things.
Dr Joe Lstiburek

Previous Topic: Rain Screen Siding Systems - Topic - Next Topic: Would you call this? New TopicReply to TopicShare Topic
Jump To:
The Inspector's Journal Forums © 2002-2013 all topics or replies that are posted on The Inspector's Journal
are copyrighted material of the original author that posted the topic or reply.
Go To Top Of Page 

Pick an RSS Feed

The views expressed on this website are the views of the authors and
do not necessarily reflect the views or policies of the sponsors.
© 2002-2013 Copyright DevWave Software Inc.
Find a Home Inspector