Username:
Password:
Save Password

Join TIJ Forums
Lost Password?
Subscribe to TIJ's Newsletter

All Forums > Technical Forums > Structural Forum >

Furnace vent gets priority

Previous Topic: Nonbearing wall supported by OSB - Topic - Next Topic: Upgrading floor system beam New TopicReply to TopicShare Topic
Posted By  
View Profile
Louisville, KY
Currently offline offline

Thread Start First Page
[#1] Posted: 10/26/2010 - 05:17:17 AM
Yesterdays house, a sprawling 3500sq ft home tucked in the heart of blah. blah, blah.

Mega tall basement, partial finished. It appears the sill plates are 2x10 turned on edge on top of a treated 2x, then another two 2x on top of that, then the floor joist.

The ONLY crack in the concrete was directly under a spot where someone has cut a monster hole, to vent the furnace and water heater. Perhaps the crack is a coincidence, maybe not.

Besides the crack, I'm not sure about writing up the hole. More importantly how would one repair this, if needed.

Click to View

50.76 KB

ABI Home Services
Louisville KY Home Inspector
View Profile
Seattle, WA

[#2] Posted: 10/26/2010 - 06:22:38 AM
My take...
First, I can't see much of a crack in that photo. Looks more like marks from the forms.

If you are concerned about the hole being a structural issue, I wouldn't be. The whole thing is supported by the foundation wall and tied together top and bottom with the 2-bys. Where's it going to go?

Now, maintaining clearance to combustibles with that fiberglass stuffing??? Where are the flues secured? What's on the other side...a chase?

Richard Moore

View Profile
Ashland, VA

[#3] Posted: 10/26/2010 - 06:25:13 AM
FWIW, the crack in the concrete is most likely coincidental. It would be hard to imagine cutting a hole through the header would cause a crack in the concrete foundation below it.

Large expanses of concrete crack, as they give up their moisture. It's called shrink, and it's the nature of concrete. That's why large buildings have expansion joints. It's not a matter of "if" the concrete cracks, but "when" it cracks. The expansion joint provides that point.

Like masonry, the weight bearing ability of concrete is off the charts - able to bear probably fifty more homes stacked on top of that one...

I'd just note the presence of the crack.

If the outside surface of the concrete was properly sealed, it probably won't even leak.

"This above all: to thine own self be true." - William Shakespeare
View Profile
Needham, Massachusetts

[#4] Posted: 10/26/2010 - 06:37:43 AM
The crack has nothing to do with the hole. The weakness that creates a crack in a foundation is: 1) BENEATH the wall, never above it, and 2) Almost never directly beneath the crack.
View Profile
Louisville, KY

[#5] Posted: 10/26/2010 - 06:48:10 AM
Good deal guys. I was thinking the crack was nothing more than a shrinkage crack. It was uniform, barely 1/16 wide and running kinda vertically.

The flues are vented through the chimney, although I couldn't see on the other side, I'd have to assume it enters a chase at that point.

ABI Home Services
Louisville KY Home Inspector
Northville, New York

[#6] Posted: 10/26/2010 - 07:02:01 AM
The practice of elevating the floor joist above the foundation by standing 2X10s on edge significantly reduces the floor systems ability to provide lateral support to the foundation wall.

I'd suggest that the original stamped plans be compared to the actual construction.

Tom Corrigan

Previous Topic: Nonbearing wall supported by OSB - Topic - Next Topic: Upgrading floor system beam New TopicReply to TopicShare Topic
Jump To:
The Inspector's Journal Forums © 2002-2013 all topics or replies that are posted on The Inspector's Journal
are copyrighted material of the original author that posted the topic or reply.
Go To Top Of Page 

Pick an RSS Feed

The views expressed on this website are the views of the authors and
do not necessarily reflect the views or policies of the sponsors.
© 2002-2013 Copyright DevWave Software Inc.
Find a Home Inspector