Username:
Password:
Save Password

Join TIJ Forums
Lost Password?
Subscribe to TIJ's Newsletter

All Forums > Technical Forums > Structural Forum >

Notched glulam

Previous Topic: rafters with no heel cut - Topic - Next Topic: Support Column New TopicReply to TopicShare Topic
Posted By  
View Profile
Prescott, AZ
Currently offline offline

Thread Start First Page
[#1] Posted: 11/17/2010 - 7:43:05 PM
Are there any problems with an installation like this? There were a few beams cut like this in the crawlspace of today's inspection.

Click to View

39.99 KB

Thanks,
Carl

View Profile
Newberg, OR

Notched glulam
[#2] Posted: 11/17/2010 - 8:15:42 PM
Do you have any establishing shots?

What are the nailers/ posts resting on?

Are the posts rated / treated for placement close to ground level, are they properly supported, etc.?

I don't see anything too alarming. The beam was re- supported inside of the notched points, so if everything else looks good, I wouldn't be concerned.

Brandon

Portland Home Inspector
View Profile
Prescott, AZ

Notched glulam
[#3] Posted: 11/17/2010 - 8:24:11 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Brandon Whitmore

Do you have any establishing shots?

What are the nailers/ posts resting on?

Are the posts rated / treated for placement close to ground level, are they properly supported, etc.?

I don't see anything too alarming. The beam was re- supported inside of the notched points, so if everything else looks good, I wouldn't be concerned.

No, I do not have any other establishing shots - I should have taken more pictures, The nailer bottoms are resting on the column footing. One nailer is treated against the column (cut nailed into the column) and the one attached to the treated board is regular lumber. I know the untreated lumber in contact with the concrete is not good.

I didn't think there was a issue because the cuts are supported. I just wanted to get some other expert advice on the situation.

View Profile
Oswego, NY

Notched glulam
[#4] Posted: 11/17/2010 - 8:42:05 PM
I can't see a thing I hate about that. It looks like one of those make it work deals, and it looks like they did.
I'm Gary Blum and I approve this message

www.gtbinspectionservices.com
Olathe, KS

Notched glulam
[#5] Posted: 11/18/2010 - 05:44:02 AM
I'd always been under the impression that since they're engineered, they should not be notched without specific engineering of it, or manufacturer's instructions on it. Here's a link that talks about it and why it's generally not allowed. I had one specific manufacturer's instructions in the past that said the same thing. With that said, doesn't mean it will be an "issue" in your instance, but I personally wouldn't say it's ok to ever notch an engineered piece of framing without something from the manufacturer, and verifying it was done properly.

http://www.rosboro.com/pdfs/S560E.pdf

Kevin Wattenbarger
www.911owned.com
View Profile
Lafayette, Louisiana

Notched glulam
[#6] Posted: 11/18/2010 - 06:45:11 AM
Quote: Originally posted by tbird

Are there any problems with an installation like this? There were a few beams cut like this in the crawlspace of today's inspection.

Click to View

39.99 KB

Thanks,
Carl

Strictly speaking, it's improper. What's the distribution of the load on the beam between the upright lumber and the CMU's? Who can compute it? Wood and concrete behave differently under load and with changes in moisture, etc. It introduces variables that complicates things. It's backyard engineering, though in the absence of signs of failure, I don't think I'd make a stink about it if there was only one instance of it in the entire house.

Marc

"If Guam gets too overpopulated, it might tip over."
Congressman Hank Johnson (D) GA
Redondo Beach, California

Notched glulam
[#7] Posted: 11/18/2010 - 07:41:52 AM
Simply put they paid for a 4 x 12 beam and hacked it to a 4 x 9 beam. Marc identified that the added value of the cripples added alongside the CMU is impossible to calculate, and in my opinion not much. I have seen installations like this however we had to install 1/4” plates on each side of the beam and through bolt the plates to the beam.

The question at this point is: Has the house moved, the floor sagged, doors come out of alignment, or is there sign of damage due to flexure exhibited on other building components? If not then there is not much problem with the condition. I would simply state that the beam is not installed per manufacturer’s instructions or best building practices. Then qualify it by stating there are no outwardly visible signs of failure.

Prattsburgh, New York

Notched glulam
[#8] Posted: 11/18/2010 - 09:58:22 AM
Not that it matters at this point,but..... It would have been a whole-lot simpler (and correct) to make a proper height pier-stack by utilizing solid 2" & 4" cap blocks.
View Profile
Severna Park, Maryland

Notched glulam
[#9] Posted: 11/22/2010 - 04:16:22 AM
At least they didn't put the glulam directly on the CMU. They notched enough to make room for the treated plate. Gotta hand that to 'em.
John Dirks Jr - Arundel Home Inspection LLC - MD license: 29827
Maryland Home Inspectors - Maryland Home Inspection - Maryland Radon Testing - Baltimore County Rental Inspection

Previous Topic: rafters with no heel cut - Topic - Next Topic: Support Column New TopicReply to TopicShare Topic
Jump To:
The Inspector's Journal Forums © 2002-2013 all topics or replies that are posted on The Inspector's Journal
are copyrighted material of the original author that posted the topic or reply.
Go To Top Of Page 

Pick an RSS Feed

The views expressed on this website are the views of the authors and
do not necessarily reflect the views or policies of the sponsors.
© 2002-2013 Copyright DevWave Software Inc.
Find a Home Inspector