Username:
Password:
Save Password

Join TIJ Forums
Lost Password?
Subscribe to TIJ's Newsletter

All Forums > Technical Forums > Environmental Hazards >

Washington State Mold and Quadrant Homes

Previous Topic: Reporting on Mold - Topic - Next Topic: starting in radon, need help with SOP and QAP New TopicReply to TopicShare Topic
Posted By  
View Profile
Kenmore, WA
Currently offline offline

Thread Start First Page
[#1] Posted: 02/08/2011 - 10:36:02 AM
This was sent to me by some friends looking for home.

Any Washington state HI's know about this or have any personal exeperience?

http://www.king5.com/news/busi...024.html

http://www.courthousenews.com/...omes.pdf

http://www.seattlepi.com/local...t19.html

Randy Navarro
http://www.thecompleteinspection.com
View Profile
Kenmore, WA

[#2] Posted: 02/08/2011 - 11:50:06 AM
Hi,

I knew of the former lawsuits. I was involved with inspecting 15 homes that Quadrant bought back from their owners as a result of that former suit. They weren't any better or any worse than any other home around here. In that case, the drywall contractor had allegedly put up the ceiling in the garage before the duct feeding heat to rooms above the garage were installed and connected to their boots and the air from the furnace had been blowing through insulated joist bays to those rooms and folks had been breathing fiberglass dust and their lungs had become irritated.

The mold claims sensationalize the issue more but don't really add to the merits of the case. Saying there is mold in the air of those homes is like saying there is sand in the desert. This complainant in one of these articles that is not running his furnace and is living in a cold house in one room, because he thinks that the furnace is contributing to the mold growth, is putting his family at more risk than if he used the furnace. By stuffing his family into one stuffy unventilated room he's basically dumping large amounts of moisture into that room and that will cause the mold spore that is already there and ever-present in the air around all of us here to explode in growth.

As Bugs Bunny would say, "What a maroon!"

ONE TEAM - ONE FIGHT!!!

Mike

View Profile
Bailey, CO

[#3] Posted: 02/16/2011 - 08:23:26 AM
Hello Randy –

My take: Whenever someone sends me a “newspaper” article (from the internet, whatever… so complicated), my invariable response will be: “OK, but what’s the REAL story?”

News articles are interested in three primary objectives: 1) Selling more news articles, 2) a ripping good yarn (see point number one), and 3) Promoting an agenda (see point number 2).

News media are not too interested in 1) objectivity, 2) objective facts, or 3) truth, since these tend to interfere with the primary objectives.

“Saying there is mold in the air of those homes is like saying there is sand in the desert.”

LOVE IT!

Cheers!

Caoimhín P. Connell
Forensic Industrial Hygienist
www.forensic-applications.com

(The opinions expressed here are exclusively my personal opinions and do not necessarily reflect my professional opinion, opinion of my employer, agency, peers, or professional affiliates. The above post is for information only and does not reflect professional advice and is not intended to supercede the professional advice of others.)

AMDG

Previous Topic: Reporting on Mold - Topic - Next Topic: starting in radon, need help with SOP and QAP New TopicReply to TopicShare Topic
Jump To:
The Inspector's Journal Forums © 2002-2013 all topics or replies that are posted on The Inspector's Journal
are copyrighted material of the original author that posted the topic or reply.
Go To Top Of Page 

Pick an RSS Feed

The views expressed on this website are the views of the authors and
do not necessarily reflect the views or policies of the sponsors.
© 2002-2013 Copyright DevWave Software Inc.
Find a Home Inspector