Username:
Password:
Save Password

Join TIJ Forums
Lost Password?
Subscribe to TIJ's Newsletter

All Forums > Technical Forums > Structural Forum >

Loud Noises from roof in Cold Weather

Previous Topic: Fire Separation - Topic - Next Topic: Structural issue? New TopicReply to TopicShare Topic
Posted By  
View Profile
Kamloops, BC
Currently offline offline

Thread Start First Page
[#1] Posted: 01/18/2012 - 11:33:27 PM
I recently became a licensed home inspector, prior to that I was a carpenter and eventually a contractor and have seen many things when it comes to building structures. I can also admit when I am stumped.

In my house last night, Wood framed, built in 1972 I heard some loud cracking or thumping noises, very loud in fact I was a bit concerned something was going to give. This is the first time this has happened and I figure it has something to do with the temperature dropping to about -25 with a strong wind.

Its a vaulted ceiling so I have no real way of checking what it was without cutting into the drywall or going through the roof. Just wondering is anyone has any theories or has heard of anything like this. The best I can figure it has something to do with moisture in the woof getting so cold it pops (have seen trees explode when it gets too cold) or the sheathing or fasteners popping???

BC Home Inspector - Red Seal Carpenter - Gold Seal Project Manager
www.kamloopshomeinspections.ca
View Profile
Kenmore, WA

[#2] Posted: 01/19/2012 - 12:39:56 AM
What kind of roof framing have you got?

ONE TEAM - ONE FIGHT!!!

Mike

View Profile
DeWitt, Mi

[#3] Posted: 01/19/2012 - 05:21:14 AM
is it plywood or osb decking? do you have ceiling fans? what kind of heat do you use?
I'd go with fastener pops at first blush.

Was this late evening on the 24th of December?

Les
View Profile
Chicago, IL

[#4] Posted: 01/19/2012 - 06:30:16 AM

Shoot.....Les beat me to the Santa Claus possibility.

I'd chalk it up to extreme temperatures and resulting differential movement. -25degF is pretty darn cold.

Kurt in Chicago

"If I smell it, it goes in the report".............Phillip Smith...2012

View Profile
Seattle, WA

[#5] Posted: 01/19/2012 - 4:21:09 PM
How much snow is on the roof?
Richard Moore

View Profile
Lakewood, WA

[#6] Posted: 01/19/2012 - 4:44:54 PM
I was going to ask the obvious. Is your house surrounded by tree's? Could it be limbs or ice falling from those tree's hitting your roof? Going through that right now at our place.
Rob Jones
South Sound Inspections
Seattle Home Inspection

"If you work just for money, you'll never make it, but if you love what you're doing and you always put the customer first, success will be yours."
Ray Kroc
View Profile
Kamloops, BC

[#7] Posted: 01/19/2012 - 6:21:34 PM
No wasn't Santa, and thats minus 25/30 C, no trees to speak of, not sure of the sheathing, I would guess that its plywood not OSB, framing is most likely 2X10. Not enough snow up there to be causing it.
I have a ceiling fan and its forced air heat. It hasn't happened before or since, even with similar temperatures, which is why I was thinking it was a combination of the wind/cold temperatures.
I plan on doing the roof/sofits and facia in the spring so I'll be giving it a good look once I can get inside.

BC Home Inspector - Red Seal Carpenter - Gold Seal Project Manager
www.kamloopshomeinspections.ca
View Profile
Victoria, British Columbia

[#8] Posted: 01/19/2012 - 7:47:43 PM
Built in interior BC in 1972, I would expect to see Shiplap or Plywood sheathing on the roof.
It isn't likely to be fasteners popping on a house that old, unless there has been recent upgrades.
I think it could be ice related. Are there icicles hanging off the eaves? (Living out here on the coast, I don't know nuthin about ice damming, but I know it's bad.)

www.allsafehome.ca
View Profile
Denver, CO

[#9] Posted: 01/19/2012 - 8:48:17 PM
I'd guess thermal expansion/contraction. Upper roof members getting cold and shrinking while lower, insulated members stay warm. I used to own a 1950s ranch that had loud popping noises most evenings in the summer. About 11:00pm it sounded like someone hit the framing in the attic with a hammer.
Garet Denise
www.Cornerstone-Inspection.com

Our knowledge of wisdom exceeds our wise use of knowledge.
Grafton, Ohio

[#10] Posted: 01/06/2014 - 8:15:53 PM
I also am having the same single banging/popping noises and they are rather loud and sporatic. They make me jump. They are coming from the roof truss areas in a ranch that was built late 80's. wood frame, no tree limbs, no heavy snow (2 inches maybe) or ice build up/damming. Temperature started in the 30s this am and has dropped to -10+ (almost 50 degrees) in one day. I think some expansion --contraction type problem is my best guess. It is a bit unsettling. Afraid the sky is falling!
Anybody have any ideas if something needs attention up there?

Walpole, MA

[#11] Posted: 01/07/2014 - 02:47:21 AM
My deck does this in these extreme conditions....... thermal expansion and contraction... can really startle you if its in the dead of night..
'don't assume anything'.. period..

Previous Topic: Fire Separation - Topic - Next Topic: Structural issue? New TopicReply to TopicShare Topic
Jump To:
The Inspector's Journal Forums © 2002-2013 all topics or replies that are posted on The Inspector's Journal
are copyrighted material of the original author that posted the topic or reply.
Go To Top Of Page 

Pick an RSS Feed

The views expressed on this website are the views of the authors and
do not necessarily reflect the views or policies of the sponsors.
© 2002-2013 Copyright DevWave Software Inc.
Find a Home Inspector