Username:
Password:
Save Password

Join TIJ Forums
Lost Password?
Subscribe to TIJ's Newsletter

All Forums > Technical Forums > Structural Forum >

Split & Rotted Lally Column

Previous Topic: Same ol crappy rot repairs - Topic - Next Topic: Nevada construction New TopicReply to TopicShare Topic
Posted By  
View Profile
Jefferson Twp., NJ
Currently offline offline

Thread Start First Page
[#1] Posted: 09/14/2008 - 8:44:02 PM
Recent inspection I found these two Lally columns both with the bases rotting and one with fractures/splits in the middle of the column. I'm feeling a need to check myself on this one so.

Post A is a little odd... almost looks like another section of pipe was around it or like the bell on a cast iron pipe but the rest of the column looks normal, just doesn't seem like the corrosion could have create swelling like that.

The other one is the one that also has two splits in the middle. I was able to get a screwdriver in the split and pry it open. More than anything I want to get somebody else's take on the rot at the bases and if anyone has seen splitting in a column like this also, what would cause this? There were of course two jacks right next to the columns and the beam was in process for becoming a roller coaster.

Thanks for you opinions.

Image Insert:

53.76 KB

Image Insert:

38.51 KB

Image Insert:

22.11 KB

Image Insert:

24.27 KB

Kyle Kubs
Benchmark Home Inspection Services
New Jersey NJ
View Profile
Evergreen Park (Chicago), IL

[#2] Posted: 09/14/2008 - 9:12:28 PM
Moisture and steel. When steel rusts, it expands. Alot like water does when it freezes. It bursts. Wet basement, I think.
Mike Lamb
http://www.inspection2020.com/
View Profile
Kenmore, WA

[#3] Posted: 09/14/2008 - 10:17:02 PM
Hi,

I wouldn't call it "rotting" 'cuz rot generally means organic decay. I'd call it spalling. Steel and Iron spall when they rust and come apart in layers. Are they concrete filled? Maybe they're concrete filled with some cheap rebar reinforcing them and the rebar is rusting and expanding and causing the concrete to split the pipe - I dunno.

OT - OF!!!

M.

View Profile
Needham, Massachusetts

[#4] Posted: 09/15/2008 - 03:53:34 AM
Quote: Originally posted by hausdok

Hi,

I wouldn't call it "rotting" 'cuz rot generally means organic decay. I'd call it spalling. Steel and Iron spall when they rust and come apart in layers. Are they concrete filled? Maybe they're concrete filled with some cheap rebar reinforcing them and the rebar is rusting and expanding and causing the concrete to split the pipe - I dunno.

OT - OF!!!

M.

There's no rebar in a lally column. Excessive moisture caused that failure and the column has to be replaced.

Jimmy

Bohemia, NY

[#5] Posted: 02/09/2009 - 07:27:52 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Kyle Kubs

Recent inspection I found these two Lally columns both with the bases rotting and one with fractures/splits in the middle of the column. I'm feeling a need to check myself on this one so.

Post A is a little odd... almost looks like another section of pipe was around it or like the bell on a cast iron pipe but the rest of the column looks normal, just doesn't seem like the corrosion could have create swelling like that.

The other one is the one that also has two splits in the middle. I was able to get a screwdriver in the split and pry it open. More than anything I want to get somebody else's take on the rot at the bases and if anyone has seen splitting in a column like this also, what would cause this? There were of course two jacks right next to the columns and the beam was in process for becoming a roller coaster.

Thanks for you opinions.
The cause of this may be from calcium chloride in the concrete. Over time the calcium chloride will eat away the steel and and look like the column is weeping water. Their is no stop to this problem. If you have a column like this you should replace it. All Dean Columns are made without any additives in the concrete so this problem will not happen to our columns.Dean Column Co., Inc. 800 442-3455.

Previous Topic: Same ol crappy rot repairs - Topic - Next Topic: Nevada construction New TopicReply to TopicShare Topic
Jump To:
The Inspector's Journal Forums © 2002-2013 all topics or replies that are posted on The Inspector's Journal
are copyrighted material of the original author that posted the topic or reply.
Go To Top Of Page 

Pick an RSS Feed

The views expressed on this website are the views of the authors and
do not necessarily reflect the views or policies of the sponsors.
© 2002-2013 Copyright DevWave Software Inc.
Find a Home Inspector