Username:
Password:
Save Password

Join TIJ Forums
Lost Password?
Subscribe to TIJ's Newsletter

All Forums > Technical Forums > Exteriors Forum >

Distorted vinyl siding from window reflection

Previous Topic: Are they pavers - Topic - Next Topic: Corrosion on Capping New TopicReply to TopicShare Topic
Posted By
Previous -  1  2  3  4  5 
View Profile
Lafayette, Louisiana
Currently offline offline

[#102] Posted: 07/09/2011 - 12:07:04 PM
Show us some photos, perhaps several.

Marc

"If Guam gets too overpopulated, it might tip over."
Congressman Hank Johnson (D) GA
View Profile
Kenmore, WA

[#103] Posted: 07/09/2011 - 12:30:08 PM
Quote: Originally posted by wtbrn98

we have been in our newhome a year and the entire house has warped!
Everyone says it was hung too tight??? It is 4 years old? Who is responsible the installers?
Look at the photos; has your siding bowed out from the house because it is installed too tight and can't expand/contract or is it actually melted?

If it's simply bowed because it's installed too tightly, it's the installers fault.

If it's melted due to reflection, pinning the blame on the manufacturer will have the manufacturer pointing the finger of blame at the manufacturer of whoever made the windows that are reflecting light onto your siding.

If it's melted due to reflection, pinning the blame on those window manufacturers will have them pointing the finger of blame squarely at the vinyl siding manufacturer.

In other words, if the siding is actually melted and deformed from heat, you are screwed and nobody is going to do anything to help you; in which case you should probably consider replacing the siding that's melted with another type of siding that won't be affected by reflected sunlight.

ONE TEAM - ONE FIGHT!!!

Mike

View Profile
Oswego, NY

[#104] Posted: 10/24/2011 - 1:50:49 PM
Back from the dead, again.

They told me they thought this was caused by a gas grill, but the more I looked at it, the more I suspect this might be another case of a deformity from a reflection. The damage is much worse at the bottom than the top. Was the tank on fire? There's also a slight diagonal pattern as well.

I don't know. What do you guys think? Forget about the deck.

Click to View

56.64 KB

Click to View

54.53 KB

I'm Gary Blum and I approve this message

www.gtbinspectionservices.com
Prattsburgh, New York

[#105] Posted: 10/24/2011 - 4:25:30 PM
I've seen several examples of gas grill siding issues and it has always been at about the height of grill, up-never down to the floor. It usually appears to be about grill-width (30 or so inches), and the siding droops or sags.

I believe your'e on the right track............

.......Greg

View Profile
Samantha, AL

[#106] Posted: 10/24/2011 - 4:25:43 PM
The ones that I see that cause by a grill the damage starts around the are the open part of the grill would be. I will go with deformity from a reflection for $500.00 Alex.
Have a good day inspecting.
Phillip R. Smith Sr.
Samantha (Tuscaloosa) AL
www.homesweethomeinspectionsal.com
"When you inspect crap, you find crap." Phillip 2010
"Always desire to learn something useful."
- Sophocles
View Profile
Gaston, Oregon

[#107] Posted: 10/24/2011 - 9:28:58 PM
Quote: Originally posted by gtblum

Back from the dead, again.

They told me they thought this was caused by a gas grill, but the more I looked at it, the more I suspect this might be another case of a deformity from a reflection. The damage is much worse at the bottom than the top. Was the tank on fire? There's also a slight diagonal pattern as well.

I don't know. What do you guys think? Forget about the deck.

Click to View

56.64?KB

Click to View

54.53?KB

100% classic window reflection. No doubt whatsoever.

Jim Katen, Oregon
www.amipdx.com
View Profile
Spring Hill (Nashville area), Tennessee

[#108] Posted: 10/25/2011 - 05:01:02 AM
I agree it is not the mark of a grill. I had one the other day on an EIFS home that was caused by a Webber Kettle grill, it made a perfect silhouette of the grill on the side of the home.
Scott Patterson
http://www.traceinspections.com

"Minds are like parachutes they only function when open"
View Profile
Jefferson Twp., NJ

[#109] Posted: 10/25/2011 - 08:41:26 AM
I've this one instance of it. Not from a window per say, but from a skylight. At the time, I was standing there a little perplexed wondering how some lunatic hoisted a BBQ up on that roof and why. ( I had no idea what caused it, till I came home and got on TIJ, and of course, almost instantly found a recent post about warped siding that edumacated me) So, I didn't collect much information, but you can see from the house picture in the second pic that the skylight on the left, was reflecting to the wall to it's right. The skylight was "flat" glass and fairly large, so I wouldn't be surprised if gravity was having it's way & making that glass a little concave. Three years ago, but if I recall correctly, it was low E coated, though, not sure. The color of the siding was a light gray. The third pic is there just to show the color a little better. This was in North/West New Jersey.

Download Attachment: DSCN6618.JPG
281.18 KB

Download Attachment: 129 W Lake Shore Dr Rockaway.jpg
187.68 KB

Download Attachment: DSCN6619.JPG
355.09 KB

Kyle Kubs
Benchmark Home Inspection Services
New Jersey NJ
View Profile
Jefferson Twp., NJ

[#110] Posted: 10/25/2011 - 08:44:55 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Scottpat

I agree it is not the mark of a grill. I had one the other day on an EIFS home that was caused by a Webber Kettle grill, it made a perfect silhouette of the grill on the side of the home.

I think we need a picture of that. [Please]

Kyle Kubs
Benchmark Home Inspection Services
New Jersey NJ
Seattle, WA

[#111] Posted: 12/02/2011 - 5:28:27 PM
I know this isn't vinyl siding but we had a house with low-e glass reflect onto a redwood deck stair and actually char the stair like firewood! It never ignited luckily. I can try to get you photos if you want. I never would have believed it unless I went and looked for myself. The owner told me that while it was happening the cabinet setter threw a blue tarp over it to protect it and it melted a hole in the tarp right in front of his eyes. This happended a couple more times this summer and then stopped so we think the sun has to be just right at the right time of the day and year. Scarry stuff!
View Profile
Lafayette, Louisiana

[#112] Posted: 12/02/2011 - 6:55:22 PM
Quote: Originally posted by cayuse

I know this isn't vinyl siding but we had a house with low-e glass reflect onto a redwood deck stair and actually char the stair like firewood! It never ignited luckily. I can try to get you photos if you want. I never would have believed it unless I went and looked for myself. The owner told me that while it was happening the cabinet setter threw a blue tarp over it to protect it and it melted a hole in the tarp right in front of his eyes. This happended a couple more times this summer and then stopped so we think the sun has to be just right at the right time of the day and year. Scarry stuff!

As well as the perfect distance from the window pane to the stairway surface for the beam to focus to a small spot

I'm sure everyone's burned his name a couple times into a piece of wood with a magnifying glass when they were growing up.

Marc

"If Guam gets too overpopulated, it might tip over."
Congressman Hank Johnson (D) GA
View Profile
Gaston, Oregon

[#113] Posted: 12/02/2011 - 7:54:22 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Marc

. . . I'm sure everyone's burned his name a couple times into a piece of wood with a magnifying glass when they were growing up.

I was smart enough to burn my brother's name in the wood - especially since it was the wood on the side of our house.

Jim Katen, Oregon
www.amipdx.com
View Profile
Kenmore, WA

[#114] Posted: 12/02/2011 - 9:13:35 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Jim Katen

Quote: Originally posted by Marc

. . . I'm sure everyone's burned his name a couple times into a piece of wood with a magnifying glass when they were growing up.

I was smart enough to burn my brother's name in the wood - especially since it was the wood on the side of our house.
Devious.

I didn't know you had it in you, Jim.

ONE TEAM - ONE FIGHT!!!

Mike

Johnston, IA

[#115] Posted: 01/03/2012 - 12:21:53 PM
Caught in the act!!

Here is an example on my home. For the first time in eight years everything must have been just aligned for several days recently. I am not sure this happens if it isn't above 60 degrees with mid December sun positioning. The photos show the neighbors window and you can even see the melted track that curves up towards the end of the afternoon.

Dave

Click to View

30.99?KB

Click to View

27.37?KB

Click to View

23.63?KB

View Profile
Oswego, NY

[#116] Posted: 01/03/2012 - 1:48:04 PM
Those are great! Mind if we borrow those to show clients?

Earlier today, I happened to run into the guy who bought the house in the pics I posted above. We talked about that for a few minutes. He's going to keep an eye on his situation and call me if he sees it happening this summer, so I can shoot it while it's occurring.

I'm Gary Blum and I approve this message

www.gtbinspectionservices.com
View Profile
Des Moines, Iowa

[#117] Posted: 01/03/2012 - 7:00:32 PM
Here are a few pictures
This was taken on a 10 degree day.
The vinyl measured from 177 to 200 degrees from a window reflection that was 39 feet away.
Vinyl will thermally distort at about 165 degrees

Click to View

41.33 KB

Click to View

30.51 KB

Click to View

22.84 KB

Click to View

30.58 KB

Click to View

29.98 KB

Mark Parlee
www.thebuildingconsultant.com
Construction defects/Moisture intrusion

Previous -  1  2  3  4  5 
Previous Topic: Are they pavers - Topic - Next Topic: Corrosion on Capping New TopicReply to TopicShare Topic
Jump To:
The Inspector's Journal Forums © 2002-2013 all topics or replies that are posted on The Inspector's Journal
are copyrighted material of the original author that posted the topic or reply.
Go To Top Of Page 

Pick an RSS Feed

The views expressed on this website are the views of the authors and
do not necessarily reflect the views or policies of the sponsors.
© 2002-2013 Copyright DevWave Software Inc.
Find a Home Inspector