Dropping from ASHI?

Well, frankly, it was first teed up in jest, but based upon the caliper of guys running and moderating this outfit and the seasoned vets that loiter here, if you all formed a society, I'd DEFINITELY join it. [^]

Uhh.. that is if I can muster a passing grade for ya'll's brutal certification test. [:-graduat

'Before I speak, I have something to say':

Whoops! I think you beat me to the punch on my last post. In any event, I'd respond to your post with my personal bastardization of the immortal words of Groucho Marx:

'I wouldn't join any HI org that'd be willing to have me.'

Jimmy

Well, frankly, it was first teed up in jest, but based upon the caliper of guys running and moderating this outfit and the seasoned vets that loiter here, if you all formed a society, I'd DEFINITELY join it. [^]

Uhh.. that is if I can muster a passing grade for ya'll's brutal certification test. [:-graduat

Would that not be the same test that is required for your state HI license in VA??

[:bonc01]

What does that mean?

It means I'm on my phone in the field and had to type the smile symbol I wanted from memory, which doesn't work well when you're flirting with Alzeimers...

Scott, We've managed to keep state licensing voluntary here in the Old Dominion, which is a real testimony to the clout of our local ASHI Chapter here in the capital and the Virginia Association of Real Estate Inspector's (VAREI) lobbyist. (Virginians never have taken too kindly to the government telling them what they can and cannot do.) Since, I'm aN ASHI Member and NAHI CRI, I've never bothered to volunteer to jump through the state licensing hoop. It's no biggie.

I was more suggesting that the TIJ braniacs will come up with a test a bit tougher than the current ones out there.

Aww, Jim, the chance to be Charter Members is just too much to pass up - kinda like being plank-owners on a ship.

C'mon Mike... Let's do it... [:-bonc01]

Myself and a few others have been toying with the idea of starting a competing organization for some time. The problem is that so many of those we like and respect are involved and heavily vested in other associations that are already losing membership numbers to the soap opera and state associations. Starting another organization could threaten the survival of those respected orgs and we could end up being the villains.

Still, with this latest mold is gold thing, maybe it's time to rethink that position.

ONE TEAM - ONE FIGHT!!!

Mike

Aww, Jim, the chance to be Charter Members is just too much to pass up - kinda like being plank-owners on a ship.

Myself and a few others have been toying with the idea of starting a competing organization for some time. The problem is that so many of those we like and respect are involved and heavily vested in other associations that are already losing membership numbers to the soap opera and state associations. Starting another organization could threaten the survival of those respected orgs and we could end up being the villains.

Still, with this latest mold is gold thing, maybe it's time to rethink that position.

ONE TEAM - ONE FIGHT!!!

Mike

Well, I'm THERE with a passion I've never had for any other organization. Keep us posted.

Choosing an HI org is a lot like choosing a religion to me: it really doesn't matter. Like Pythagoras, I say: First, do no harm. Most of the rest is details.

At the risk of angering someone who's a decidedly respected member here, the O/C part of me feels compelled to point out the fact that it was Hippocrates who is credited with that "...do no harm" saying, not Pythagoras. Pythagoras was the A squared plus B squared = C squared guy.

The problem is that so many of those we like and respect are involved and heavily vested in other associations that are already losing membership numbers to the soap opera and state associations. Starting another organization could threaten the survival of those respected orgs and we could end up being the villains.

If the right set of by-laws and an ethical charter can be arrived at for a non-profit association, I wouldn't mind at all being a villain. Is not 'mold is gold' enough?

Marc

Choosing an HI org is a lot like choosing a religion to me: it really doesn't matter. Like Pythagoras, I say: First, do no harm. Most of the rest is details.

At the risk of angering someone who's a decidedly respected member here, the O/C part of me feels compelled to point out the fact that it was Hippocrates who is credited with that "...do no harm" saying, not Pythagoras. Pythagoras was the A squared plus B squared = C squared guy.

I had composed a snide remark when I saw that because I believed as you do. But before posting it, I did some research and found that Pythagoras was a lot more than a math guy and Hippocrates never actually said the "do no harm" thing that's commonly attributed to him. So I let Morrison survive unscathed. For all I know, Pythagoras *did* say that at some point.

- Jim Katen, Oregon

I had composed a snide remark when I saw that because I believed as you do. But before posting it, I did some research and found that Pythagoras was a lot more than a math guy and Hippocrates never actually said the "do no harm" thing that's commonly attributed to him. So I let Morrison survive unscathed. For all I know, Pythagoras *did* say that at some point.

- Jim Katen, Oregon

Thank you Kevin for your kind correction. I appreciate it. You are correct. I meant Hippocrates, not Pythagoras.

Katen, you are a kind and merciful god.

:)

Jimmy

... I did some research and found that Pythagoras was a lot more than a math guy and Hippocrates never actually said the "do no harm" thing that's commonly attributed to him.

You guys are destroying my already limited knowledge of ancient Greeks. Next you'll be telling me that Archimedes didn't yell "Eureka" when his tub overflowed.

I have been an ASHI member since 1994 but I have always felt that I get very little benefit from ASHI National. The chapter level is where it's at and I have always been very active with the Great lakes Chapter, currently I am the VP. Even through branding I supported ASHI and never thought of ending my relationship.

Recently I have heard talk that ASHI wants to mess with the chapter structure in an effort to break up large chapters that the board views as to powerful and obstacles to moving forward with their misguided plans. If this happens I will not renew my membership.

Most home inspectors work independently and have very little contact with other people who do the same thing we do. This is where a strong local chapter comes into play. It is a great opportunity to learn and interact with our peers.

I have never viewed any organization as a must have credential. What I want out of a HI organization is, fellowship, standards, education, and of course a unified national voice for our profession.

If a new organization was formed that offer my these things I would join it.

ONE TEAM - ONE FIGHT!!!

Mike

Mike,

We started NJ ALPHI (New Jersey Association of Licensed Professional Home Inspectors) in response to the ASHI Branding a few years ago. We now have around 300 members in NJ. Dues are $70 dollars a year and if you attend all meetings you can acquire CEU requirements for the year.

Many of us founding members of NJ ALPHI were the founding members of Garden State ASHI. We got tired of the high cost and the amount of money leaving NJ to pay for national expenses. The main difference between the two non-profit organizations is that all of the money stays in NJ and the subsequent cost to the members is less.

The people outside of our circle of knowledge regarding these organizations generally could not care less about our affliations. Since licensing started in NJ I have never been asked if I am a member of a professional society. Occasionally I am asked if I am a licensed home inspector.

Mike-If you need some advice on starting an organization I will be glad to give you my two cents worth. Let me know if I can help. (How does Washington ALPHI sound?)

I get several jobs a year simply because of my affiliation with ASHI. Why? I guess it has to do with the public perception that is based on the PR that ASHI has done over the years. Good or bad, I'll stay with it. As for associations not having any value in a licensed state? That is hogwash! Just the friendships that are built with other local inspectors is well worth the price of admission.

I don't think the benefit of ASHI "finding me jobs" outweighs the dismantlement of the thing that's made ASHI strong in the past; local chapter involvement.

National is dismantling local chapters at the urging and advice of entities that benefit from that strategy, and the entities are not HI's. They're consultants, large corporate interests, COA, and our management staff.

National is dismantling local chapters at the urging and advice of entities that benefit from that strategy, and the entities are not HI's. They're consultants, large corporate interests, COA, and our management staff.

What chapters have been dismantled? I know of a several that are pretty dysfunctional due to the lack of membership participation, but I have not heard of any that have been dismantled by National.

OK, I'll rephrase.....if the proposed governance changes go into effect, they're going to dismantle chapters.

The current version of the Chapter Task Force contains several flawed assumptions about things they are trying to "fix".

Some of most active and excellent chapters (Golden Gate, GLC, etc.) will be dismantled. They will lose the right to collect dues. They will have to petition National for money. They will have to ask permission to go on promoting ASHI. Educational efforts will be subsumed into the ASHI School model, which quite frankly, sucks.

ASHI is only as strong as its chapters. The organization will only grow from the ground up, not from the top down.

HI's are independent types; they do not like being herded. National is going into full tilt herd mode.

You tell me what's going to happen.

What I think could happen would be variations of the success shown in New Jersey; an entirely separate organization, strong local affiliations, good education, camaraderie with those in similar markets, etc.

Maybe I got it wrong.

... I did some research and found that Pythagoras was a lot more than a math guy and Hippocrates never actually said the "do no harm" thing that's commonly attributed to him.

You guys are destroying my already limited knowledge of ancient Greeks. Next you'll be telling me that Archimedes didn't yell "Eureka" when his tub overflowed.

Don't feel bad, Richard. The "Eureka" story as commonly told these days has been altered a little to protect some sensibilities. What was lost to history as the story was told and retold was the actual inspiration for the utterance. The REAL story was that ol' Archie made that exclamation upon seeing Mrs. Archimedes shed her toga and proceed to overburden their tub. It seems that she had surpassed a merely Rubenesque state some time earlier and he had been too busy thinkin' and inventin' to notice. The real meaning of Eureka is actually "Woman, you need to go on a diet."

Yeah. It's been real slow this week and I have too much time on my hands...

• 4 months later...