Which organization to join?

They're all lame.

I've been an ASHI member for 25 years. Of any of them, it's the only one that has any chance at all of making an impact. We have a lobbyist in DC, we've got recognition from HUD, etc.

Whether or not it means anything remains to be seen.

ASHI's the good looking jock with the letter sweater who just doesn't get it. He does everything right but never quite gets the success he feels that he deserves because he spends too much time preening in front of the mirror.

NAHI is the insecure middle child who's always looking to an authority figure for validation. He needs someone else to tell him that he's doing a good job.

NACHI is the short kid who runs around with his jaw jutting out and is always looking for a fight. He's discovered that a gang has power and he's smart enough to use it.

The home inspector organization landscape is a big junior high school. Pick your clique.

I suggest you join the organization that has the meetings closest to your home or office and/or have the largest attendance in your area. I have found that it is generally not the national organization's name that makes it worthwhile, it is the local people that you rub elbows with. I would also inquire about the education seminars that they have.

be advised this is sarcastic: consider one that is well branded in the real estate industry.

I have been a member of most organizations. Steven has the right advice. I remain a member of ASHI along with most of the folks I admire in the inspection business. Not everyone I admire, just many.

ASHI is definitely the stately old grand daddy and gentleman of the organizations.

I've been an ASHI Member and NAHI-CRIfor about 14 years. The tests are equally hard. I took them within a few days of each other.

I get referrals from. ASHI weekly. I can't say I've ever received one from NAHI.

Thanks for the input thus far...

I've been investigating(reading their words) and with respect to the others, I'm leaning toward the short kid, and not because I like to fight.

The member benefits seem to be what a newbie like me needs. A constant push to better myself as an HI. Although the requirements seem a little demanding, it's all for the better good of ....me. Plus the yearly $365 membership inludes some pretty good discounts and a ***promise*** for referals...

Example of the discount: For the $365 NACHI membership I will be purchasing the FLIR E30 @ $2295.00(which I will look for or start a new topic on)

I would back off the Kool-Aid right now.

Promises of HI referrals are pretty much 'hot air'. Consider how many other His in your market are also "members".

I've been doing residential His for 9-years (commercial for 15+) and I've know many HIs in that group (very nice guys and many are good HIs) and they candidly state the referral hype is just that ... hype.

An IR camera for $2K is a play toy. It won't provide you the resolution you need for the proper use in your business.

Read other threads here at TIJ about IR and cameras.

Two words of caution: Be Careful

ASHI is definitely the stately old grand daddy and gentleman of the organizations.

I like Jim's description better.

Honestly, other than the membership, I've never really given much attention to the goings on of the national organizations.

I've always been thankful for the benis, but avoid the politics like the plague. I couldn't possibly be less interested.

Three years of running the circuit as a vendor - enduring endless snobbery and cliques, did me in I guess...

Thanks for the input thus far...

I've been investigating(reading their words) and with respect to the others, I'm leaning toward the short kid, and not because I like to fight.

The member benefits seem to be what a newbie like me needs. A constant push to better myself as an HI. Although the requirements seem a little demanding, it's all for the better good of ....me. Plus the yearly $365 membership inludes some pretty good discounts and a ***promise*** for referals...

Example of the discount: For the $365 NACHI membership I will be purchasing the FLIR E30 @ $2295.00(which I will look for or start a new topic on)

FYI, the price may fluctuate. Ask Nick for a discount. He even gives out free memberships sometimes, I hear. [:)]

Membership in NACHI gives you access to some good videos for training.

I was a member for 1 year and got 0 referrals. I never got around to sending in my 5 mock inspections, but they made me a certified home inspector anyway, so just do what you feel is best there.

There are many highly respected home inspectors in all 3 orgs, so Steven's advice is sound. Do what the established and respected inspectors in your area are doing.

National associations might add lines to your resume but don't make you a better inspector. Inspectors make the association better.

Join an association that has local meetings. The tech sessions will help keep you current. They will also hopefully keep you up to date with local politicial issues regarding home inspections. The association sends a member to every licensing board meeting and reports at the monthly association meeting. Local association pays a lobbist to shape home inspection laws in my state.

I joined ASHI and got 4 referrals in the first month.

On the average I receive about 4 referrals a month from the ASHI site. I had one yesterday that came directly to my phone via the SMS text message feature ASHI has. Note, before my move to the Nashville area I received about 5 referrals a year from the ASHI site. I really think that it is all relative to the area you are in.

I bet many of you would be surprised how many referrals come from ASHI. I suppose because I was so heavily into 100% commissioned sales years ago, I ask every prospect, unless they've already offered, "So how did you hear about me?" And the top five answers in order are consistently:

1. My agent gave me your name (usually one of three names) Interesting, since I haven't been in an agent's office in probably seven years. If I have any cards or brochures at Realtors offices, they're ancient. :-)

2. I found you on the ASHI site

3. A friend or family member recommended you

4. You did my last inspection and we thought you did a great job

5. You inspected the home we just sold, and we want you to be that thorough on the home we're buying.

I bet if you ask every client how they heard about you, ASHI is going to be the answer much more than you know.

From 1992 to approx 2009 we asked every client to fill out a comment card and send it back to us. Couple of things always surprised me; return rate was 80%+ and how many referrals came from past clients.

I agree with Michael that ASHI likely is a larger source than most of the members think.

My ASHI membership has always paid for itself. And GA with it's no licensing and regulation makes it more important to be certified.

Buyers almost never even know that there is no licensing or regulation in GA either. So when I get shoppers I land alot of them because of the ASHI certification once you give them a brief lesson.

My ASHI membership has always paid for itself. And GA with it's no licensing and regulation makes it more important to be certified.

Buyers almost never even know that there is no licensing or regulation in GA either. So when I get shoppers I land alot of them because of the ASHI certification once you give them a brief lesson.

Exactly the same here in VA - no licensing. There's a voluntary licensing program, that many of the guys opted into. Myself, I haven't and really don't think there's a need for state licensing here. In fact, that fact is precisely why state licensing has never come to pass - no need. ASHI is sufficient.

Exactly the same here in VA - no licensing. There's a voluntary licensing program, that many of the guys opted into. Myself, I haven't and really don't think there's a need for state licensing here. In fact, that fact is precisely why state licensing has never come to pass - no need. ASHI is sufficient.

Really, if they started a licensing program here I'd have to come up with a whole new sales pitch. I do use my ASHI certification to land inspection shoppers.

Really, if they started a licensing program here I'd have to come up with a whole new sales pitch. I do use my ASHI certification to land inspection shoppers.

No you wouldn't.

That's what anti-licensing folks always say - that licensing levels the playing field and puts inexperienced folks on the same level as experienced inspectors in the eyes of consumers. That simply isn't true. We've had licensing here for more than two years now and the only one's it's made it harder for are new folks getting into the business who no longer can do so by simply hanging out a shingle and must actually get some training. Oh, and it was an annoyance to long-established inspectors who were forced to take the national exam who felt that it was unfair to require them to prove that they know how to do what they claim to be able to do - inspect homes.

I haven't heard a single complaint from any experienced/established inspectors that they've had to change their way of marketing their business. I have heard bitching from inspectors that they don't like the idea of having to comply with the state SOP; and they want to be able to inspect to their individual association SOP's - but from a consumer protection standpoint there's something to be said for having one consistent SOP versus the 4 - 7 different SOP's of a plethora of associations.

Consumers are smart enough to know that a license just means that you've met the minimum requirements to be considered legal - they are still asking as many discriminating questions as they ever asked when interviewing inspectors while trying to decide which inspector to hire.

I'm seeing that experience, level of training and recommendations from former clients are far more important qualifications for potential clients than realtor recommendations or a state license.

ONE TEAM - ONE FIGHT!!!

Mike