This second-level door . . .

. . . is just there, and serves no purpose. Is there a name for this particular architectural detail that is sort of, but not really, a widow's walk? And was there any sort of ostensible reason--real or imagined--for the door to be there?

To me, the door is the nose in the middle of a large smiley face that has some sort of Goth shit on its cheek. The small window--which I assume is above a staircase--detracts from the symmetry of the rest of the house and doesn't really make sense to me either.

FYI, the house is in my neighborhood and when I'm walking my dog and not thinking about myself, which seldom happens, I sometimes stroll by this house and wonder how its design originated.

Click to Enlarge
tn_201222220553_IMG_0160.jpg

120.73 KB

. . . is just there, and serves no purpose. Is there a name for this particular architectural detail that is sort of, but not really, a widow's walk? And was there any sort of ostensible reason--real or imagined--for the door to be there?

Click to Enlarge
tn_201222220553_IMG_0160.jpg

120.73?KB

Look at the damn ugly French doors below. I think it's a case of 5 narrow glazed doors "falling off a truck" and their new owner not knowing what else to do with the odd number. Calling any of that, including the house itself, architectural is a real stretch!

It's a Gambrel roof. A barn. How the hell else are you going to get the bales in and out of there?

............if the home was in your area, it would just be for winter egress! Not this winter though............Greg

Brilliant! LOL!

Shhhh. We're getting away with murder so far this year. Never in the clear until after Mothers day.

• 1 month later...