The local low baller has found a new low

Tom Raymond

That's pretty much my take. I tell folks the only thing I have to sell is my time and knowledge, and I don't discount either.

I've long felt my best advertisement are the idiots, there's always someone fascinated to work with idiot, and a lot that aren't.

I focus on those that aren't.

If everyone in this gig was a blazing genius, I'd be in trouble. All those geeks make my sorry ass shine. Don't be in too much of a yank to have everyone be a shooting star of brilliance; it would make life really hard.

, I try to help out a little when I can IF I think the client deserves it or truly needs it.

I'm taking $100 off my fee for my first job today; fourth or fifth house I've done for the guy, and probably did a dozen other jobs from his referrals. If I wasn't so dang busy, I'd probably do more for him.

I'll be paid back ten-fold.

I nearly wrote an article for the local paper about the "value" of free, but instead chose to share here. I don't want his clients, and that's exactly what I'd get.

I'm not getting rich, but I book over 80% of the calls I get and no one pushes back on my fees unless they walk from the first house and want me to do the next. I gladly give them $50 off, happy clients and referrals are my marketing plan. Slow and steady wins the race.

There was a thread awhile ago about raising fees and the affect (or lack of) to our bottom line. I raised mine and the result was an immediate increase in income. I lost the bottom feeders and opened my schedule to more profitable work. Reasonable people expect better quality and performance to come with a price. When I see something with a ridiculously low price, the first thing that crosses my mind is "What's wrong with it?" When a prospect tells me I'm not the cheapest guy they've talked to so far. I respond with a firm "I hope not!

I said to someone the other day "it seems the more I charge - the easier the inspections are" meaning I tend to inspect nicer homes in good condition. My schedule has been filled with well maintained homes sold to middle to upper class folks - I have not been in a dump for sometime now. People buying dumps or old houses with lots of needed upgrades seems to search out the cheapest inspector they can find.