drag drop text

I'm hoping to set up a drag and drop feature for my report writing in Word 2010. I want to use it to insert subtitles at the various continually evolving positions they need to be in a given report.

I'd like to have a box at the side of the document where I can copy, drag and drop the text from the box and into a specific place in the report template.

Any of you know any tricks on how this might be done?

I just use a "boilerplate" word doc open alongside the current report template. I have stuff arranged with group and sub-group headings in document map view. I simply select, copy and paste between the two on-screen pages (larger monitors help here). I have a programmable Logitech scrolling mouse set up with a thumb button for copy and the scroll wheel click for paste. It's quick and now second nature for me.

Thanks for the suggestion Richard. Right now I have the subtitles in my actual template and I copy and paste to re-position them. That is not much different than what you do. I do it enough it seems worth it to find a quicker way.

I'm also using Autotext to type prompts that inserts pre-defined text but there are glitches on my system that I cant figure out how to correct. The problem is, I save the entries in a certain font but when I type the prompts, the fonts change. I go back and change them, delete, recreate and whatever and I cant seem to solve the problem. When the entries are the wrong font, I have to highlight, right click and select the function to correct them.

It's a thorn in my side that I can't shake loose. I'm that close to perfect and I know exactly what I need to happen but I just can't make it work. Its frustrating.

In Word 2007, there's an option in the 'View' tab (View side by side) that will put two running Word documents side by side on your screen. This works better if you've one of those wide screens or if you've two monitors on your computer.

Marc

• 4 months later...

John, I work off a Master Report (800 pages of everything including descriptions and boilerplates, a never-ending document!!!) as I call it. I have 2 monitors, one with the Master on one screen and a Inspection template (with all client info Mail-Merged). I copy (discontinuously by holding Control & Shift), and paste.

Is this what your looking to do (I didn't read the whole thread)?

John, I work off a Master Report (800 pages of everything including descriptions and boilerplates, a never-ending document!!!) as I call it. I have 2 monitors, one with the Master on one screen and a Inspection template (with all client info Mail-Merged). I copy (discontinuously by holding Control & Shift), and paste.

Is this what your looking to do (I didn't read the whole thread)?

I've honed my Auto Text skills and am utilizing that method now.