The ASHI School

Devereaux412

Dev, how are you at cold calling. Research all the guys within the area that you are willing to travel within. Start with the top guy on your list. Don't give up even if you have to expand your radius.

Networking with the top guys is always smart. For the record I did it on my own but I had two strong guys in my market that were always there to give me advice or clue me in.

The right way to enter this business is as Mike O has long had a passion for or to mentor under a seasoned inspector. I have two guys who work with me. Each worked for 3 months without pay........and we had a contract that they agreed to stay in my employ for two years or they would owe me a training fee. One has been with me six years and the other four years. You will pay your dues one way or another to be able to succeed. My biggest worry was did I leave any carnage in those early years? All you have said shows us you want to do the right thing and enjoy what you do. I hope you are able to find someone to help you and that you in turn do the same for someone else. Short of the "Met-O-Katen" school of HI, mentoring is the only thing that will improve our industry.

Really sorry you were short changed with the ASHI thing but I too respect the manner in which you have approached your start in the glory-less work.

Tom and Mike,

"Physician heal thyself" it seems I didn't read! Youse guys are always willing to give an old fart a break. Thanks.

Scott, thanks for reminding us to be objective. You, maybe more than most, understand nearly all the above posters have a deep and abiding loyalty to ASHI and it is painful to hear stories like Dev's; right or wrong.

My personal opinion about ASHI School has not changed since it began. I think it is a poor idea that was poorly implemented by less than skilled folks that had good intentions.

Dev, Jeff Arnold is a nice guy that runs a solid organization. He is not nor ever has been an inspector. Call him.

Dev -

I'm in KC and was the 1st ASHI inspector out here back in 1984. I've served multiple times on their national Board and been President of both ASHI Chapters in Missouri & Kansas.

I'm familiar with the C & D training materials as we've used some in addition to our own thats a little more relative to our area.

I'm also a Trainer for Kansas, NAHI, ASHI, NACHI, etc

I hear your pain and understand your thoughts.

Give me a call & we can talk OR email me.

dl_rambo@hotmail.com OR (816) 455-8787

Dev -

I'm in KC and was the 1st ASHI inspector out here back in 1984. I've served multiple times on their national Board and been President of both ASHI Chapters in Missouri & Kansas.

I'm familiar with the C & D training materials as we've used some in addition to our own thats a little more relative to our area.

I'm also a Trainer for Kansas, NAHI, ASHI, NACHI, etc

I hear your pain and understand your thoughts.

Give me a call & we can talk OR email me.

dl_rambo@hotmail.com OR (816) 455-8787

Dan,

Tnx for keying on this post for Dev.

Dev,

This is Dan Bowers. He and I had a long talk this afternoon.

You should understand that there's the inspection business, and there's the business of the business of the profession society.

The ASHI School is another morbid attempt by the folks more interested in the business of the business of the society. They haven't gotten it in the 25 years I've been hanging around, and I doubt they ever will.

Jeff is a good guy, but he's just another MBA with a business plan. His plan has little to nothing to do with inspections.

I've worked for most of the ED's of the myriad professional societies based in Chicago; it's a strange crew. Very strange. Other people's professions are their meat.

Dev -

Got your email but no phone #.

Spent weekend in VA hospital doing heart stress tests, etc because of little heart event last week. Out and running again this week. Got probably 2 commercial buildings and 1 new construction monitoring on the books that I know of right now.

Big KC secret .... A large amount of the most experienced and really good ASHI home inspectors in KC are not at the Grate Pains Chapter meetings as you will come to find out. Most of the NAHI group are past ASHI Members as are many of the independent inspectors in KC ......... just too much politicing & BS in local ASHI group.

Call if U want to talk or need help.

(816) 455-8787

Dan,

Sorry about that, is there a good time to call? I still am at an 8-5 job until I can get my business up and running. Which right now is kind of a toss up of when.

Hope everything checked out okay at the VA hospital.

That's good info on the Great Plains Chapter. Nice play on words too, haha. I look forward to hearing more insight.

• 2 weeks later...