I HATE it when they are late!

Marc

The inspection starts at 9 (or whatever) and you're there early, the Realtor is there, but the client comes late, and then acts like you were supposed to wait for them and you have to back track to catch them up with all you've found. Man, it just trips my trigger when people do that, client today was an hour late, actually had the nerve to say that he was paying me so what the heck. Then had the nerve to ask if he could just pay at the settlement table! I almost just walked away, but just decided to explain - slowly and calmly - that, first, he was to pay me now as agreed in advance and that if this deal fell through, he would have to find another inspector. Made the whole rest of my day run late.

Thanks, now I feel better.

Yes, it sucks mildly when they come late but I just stop and go over everything I looked at up to that point. It's a rare occurrence for me and I have never gotten too bothered about it. It is not a good business strategy to cop an attitude with the client.

That said, I would be flummoxed as to why I should not start before they arrive and would be very interested as to their reasoning for this. Are we not on the same team?

It doesn't happen often, but when it does, it's never been an issue. I just throw the SD card in the laptop and give them a quick photo tour of what's been covered.

I hate it when they get there before me. I'm always early to get a preview - and something to talk about - before anyone else shows up.

I love it when my client comes late. I like it when they're so late that they get there just when I'm packing. Then I spend 15-20 minutes explaining the highlights. Had they been in tow it would have cost me an hour.

Which is why I don't let anyone follow me around. Doing so would turn a ten-hour day into a twelve-hour day.

My inspections are walk-n-talk instructional. Don't mind if folks follow me around - following me around is kind of the point - that's why I call it the school of the house.

It's a pain when they are late but I just busy myself doing something until they get there. Then I stop, go over the pre-inspection stuff with them, get it signed and get back on track. No second takes. I'll give them a quick brief on what I've seen so far but if they weren't there they'll have to read about it in the report. I'm not going to go back and start it over.

ONE TEAM - ONE FIGHT!!!

Mike

That's my approach. No one bothers me, and if I get someone late wanting to go through it all again, they get an accelerated photo tour on the computer.

It's a physical job; people don't always understand that. It's not a novelty activity; it's work. I explain that to people. Never had anyone not get it.

I feel like the Lone Ranger here. I request that the client give me a 2-3 hour head start (depending on the size of the house. I like being finished with the inspection before they arrive. I then give them a walk and talk tour around the house discussing the findings. I inspect faster and more thoroughly if I am left alone to inspect. If they want to be in my back pocket the entire inspection I can accommodate that too but I figure it adds about an hour since I tend to talk and get caught up explaining minutia.

If they are way late for the wrap up, they get an abbreviated version. I'm all for accommodating my clients but there are limits especially if they don't respect me enough to be there on time or at least make an effort.

I feel like the Lone Ranger here. I request that the client give me a 2-3 hour head start (depending on the size of the house. I like being finished with the inspection before they arrive. I then give them a walk and talk tour around the house discussing the findings. I inspect faster and more thoroughly if I am left alone to inspect. If they want to be in my back pocket the entire inspection I can accommodate that too but I figure it adds about an hour since I tend to talk and get caught up explaining minutia.

If they are way late for the wrap up, they get an abbreviated version. I'm all for accommodating my clients but there are limits especially if they don't respect me enough to be there on time or at least make an effort.

That method of inspecting wouldn't fly around here. The buyer, in laws and two realtors are one step behind for the entire inspection. People get in the way constantly. Walk into a bathroom, turn around, and there's four other people in there with you. Gets very tiresome.

BTW, explaining the minutia lets 'em know you know what you're talking about and will result in referrals.

Contracts are signed at the time of the booking - a week or more in advance. We send out emails to the buyer and the agent(s) explaining that we don't talk for the first 3 hours or so. Everyone is welcome to be there, but there's no discussion till the end. At that time, everything gets explained and every question gets answered. Everyone seems to understand and respect this and referrals are not a problem. We're the most expensive inspectors in town and we turned down 22 inspection requests last Friday.

That made me laugh. "There will be no talking for the first 3 hours."

I mean, I really don't care how anyone manages their operation, but that tickled me.

I'm imagining customers walking around on eggshells, wringing their hands, wondering what the strange man with the strange occupation is doing.

What if a customer's small child mistakenly asks a question? "You, go stand in the corner!" No, wait....."I said no questions! Go stand with your nose in that circle on the blackboard!" Are small children allowed on site while the inspector is working? [:-angel]

Do you really stick with old man "there shall be no questions!" personae, or do you ever break down? Isn't the stress of behaving this way unnerving? (I know the answer will fall under one of 2 categories, both with the same answer, but I had to ask.)

Are questions actually so unnerving they cannot be entertained, a customer cannot be engaged while crawling around?

Yes, I understand the ever present HI "I'm busier than God so we're doing it right" commentary (everyone's favorite exemplar of success), but this one just plain tickled me.

This has been discussed before, and I'm usually the odd dude out, but I never let anyone follow me around. I explain to buyers that I'm a man, and don't multi-task well--that if I try to keep up a running dialogue, I'll become distracted and overlook something, and that that isn't good for either of us.

I realize we're all different, but I can't concentrate with people getting in my way, or asking me insipid questions about where I'm from or how long I've been in business.

Imagine trying to write something--which involves concentration and thought--while carrying on a conversation. For me it's that simple. Our jobs require concentration and thought, as well.

This has been discussed before, and I'm usually the odd dude out, but I never let anyone follow me around. I explain to buyers that I'm a man, and don't multi-task well--that if I try to keep up a running dialogue, I'll become distracted and overlook something, and that that isn't good for either of us.

I realize we're all different, but I can't concentrate with people getting in my way, or asking me insipid questions about where I'm from or how long I've been in business.

Imagine trying to write something--which involves concentration and thought--while carrying on a conversation. For me it's that simple. Our jobs require concentration and thought, as well.

There's talking and questions, and there's blather. I don't do blather either.

I can answer questions, at the appropriate times, about the house just fine; it preps folks for what they read in the report.