Saw dust insulation?

Anyone ever run into saw dust insulation in a 1840 era home? My friend is asking if it will be a major drawback when he tries to sell his home soon to downsize. I have not seen the material but he says it is in excellent condition, not decaying and dry. My thinking is he will need to find a buyer that is drawn to historically significant houses and has an appreciation for that sort of thing. That type of buyer may be rare, not sure. What do you think?

Can't say I've ever seen sawdust insulation, but I've seen various incarnations of what I call "mill tailings." It seems to be the various chips and bits left over from wood mills, but not sawdust.

As for your friend, he owns the house and he will sell the house. He's worrying about what might happen when he has no ability to control what happens. Tell him to take a xanax and chill out. Whatever happens, happens. Worrying about it won't change anything.

I was given a tour of an 1834 home in SW Virginia where the owners of a wool mill resided. The wool mill was said to be a major supplier of cloth for the Confederate army. The new owners in restoration efforts found, guess what, wool stuffed in the framing of exterior walls. Some of it was still in place in areas I was shown.

• 1 year later...

Probably Silva Wool. See it all the time. Could easily be mistaken for sawdust by anyone that doesn't know any better.

I should have taken a photo of the certificate stapled to the rafter in the house I did today. The certificate was from April 1959 and certified that the home had been insulated with the new efficient product, Silva Wool and guaranteed that it would last as long as the home lasted.

ONE TEAM - ONE FIGHT!!!

Mike