Who are you using for web site hosting?

rwardadams

Please pipe in with what you are using for web site hosting. I've looked at GoDaddy, Squarespace and WordPress. I would like to have an attractive web page for smart phones and tablets.

I built my own WP site that's hosted on Fatcow but won't be using them much longer. 10 years have taught me that if you're serious about your business website and it's mobility, you need an expert to oversee it.

I've yet to find someone I trust.

Marc

Please pipe in with what you are using for web site hosting. I've looked at GoDaddy, Squarespace and WordPress. I would like to have an attractive web page for smart phones and tablets.

I built my own WP site that's hosted on Fatcow but won't be using them much longer. 10 years have taught me that if you're serious about your business website and it's mobility, you need an expert to oversee it.

I've yet to find someone I trust.

Marc

Marc,

Fatcow has hosed my personal site for years with little/few problems.

• 11 months later...

Hi Everyone,

This is my first post :)

As a former website designer and web host I can say that most of the hosting services are more or less equal. Where they differ is in customer service. I use NameCheap hosting since they offer free ongoing support via live chat, and are always super helpful and prompt to respond. I would look for a host that you can contact quickly and easily when problems arise (and they always do).

As an individual you are going to be using a shared server most places you go, and thats fine for your HI needs. Don't get sucked into paying for any fancy website builders or add-ons if you don't know what they do or how they work. You will spend a lot of time and ultimately get frustrated (in my experience). A good hosting package should run no more than $75/yr.

I have used Wordpress to build a number of sites and it is easy to understand and simple to use as a 'noob'. If your looking to build your first site I would suggest this route. With so many templates available for free, it is easy to find something that suits you and gets your info out there to the world.

There are other great tools out there, but in my experience 'site building' services are only out to take your money and run. You are better off spending your money with a proper web designer, than paying $39.95/mo. in perpetuity. I really believe simple is better with this stuff, and you don't need to spend a fortune (under $500) to have a professional looking site that will last a while.

Cheers!

• 1 year later...

I wouldn't recommend Godaddy

Ive had GoDaddy for about five years now and every few months I threaten to move and I would if it wasn't such a hassle. There new web builder 7 is better in some ways, but there new hosting plans seems to be more A la carte now, upselling things that were included in the old web builder. There sites are NOT responsive as they claim.

If I do it again (and I am) I would get a wamp server and build my site locally on my system with WordPress. That way the content is yours and you can move hosting without loosing it.

A resurrected thread, so I'll bite.

I use HostGator for a few sites and rarely have issues. I think in the last 5 or 6 years, I've been down twice? BlowDaddy has been the bane of some of my friends for years. They move along when their limits are reached.

• 2 years later...