AHM Architects

Steven Hockstein

I was wondering if it is appropriate for me to post photos or webpage links to some of our designs on this forum. Please let me know if anyone objects and I will stop.

This is a link to photos of a new two-family house that we designed for a client. It is unique because due to the narrow lot we had to split the house from front to back instead of side to side. Each half will rent for over $4,000 per month!

https://photos.google.com/share/AF1QipM ... Y2aFY4NE1B

I like it. I am not so keen on the glass shower enclosure, but really like the design elements of oval window and rectangular door.

Thanks.

The framed glass shower enclosures were a financial decision. This is a rental property and the frameless shower enclosures are much more expensive. Since this is a two-family all of the selections are double the price.

...down here they call that plan "shotgun", meaning you could fire a shotgun at the entry and sweep the whole space.

Very similar to shotgun house. On a true shotgun, you can physically open all doors of the house and fire a shotgun through it without hitting anything.

The Northerners have their Cape Cods, their Federal, and all that. We've got our shotgun.

Marc

I agree with all of the positive comments and thank you for posting the pictures.

I can't resist asking, though, about the fake stone. Why do so many designers use it like this? Is it supposed to make the viewer think that the house has a stone foundation or a half-stone wall? If so, why does it come all the way up to the windows? And why doesn't it wrap all the way around the house?

At least on the chimneys it creates the illusion that the chimneys are made of stone. What does it do on the front and back of the house?

I agree with all of the positive comments and thank you for posting the pictures.

I can't resist asking, though, about the fake stone. Why do so many designers use it like this? Is it supposed to make the viewer think that the house has a stone foundation or a half-stone wall? If so, why does it come all the way up to the windows? And why doesn't it wrap all the way around the house?

At least on the chimneys it creates the illusion that the chimneys are made of stone. What does it do on the front and back of the house?

Points well taken. Sometimes the aesthetic result trumps the realty of the construction that it is trying to emulate.

The reason that the stone "Foundation" water table extends higher than the actual foundation is for totally aesthetic reasons. We originally considered keeping it low that but the house is so tall and narrow that we had to add the horizontal element at a higher place because we thought it looked better. It helps break down the scale of the height.

If you get really technical, the tops of the chimneys are wrong too. At least the builder did not put asphalt roofing on the transition between the wide and narrow parts of the chimney (like the attached photo).

The reason the stone does not extend along the sides is because the house is cantilevered on both sides to allow for a wider house. There were zoning reasons that the foundation footprint was limited so we added square footage with the cantilevers along the sides. The stone is hiding two foot cantilevers on both sides of the house (if you look carefully at the photos you can see that there is no foundation visible along the sides).

Keep in mind that this is an investment property and we were working with the owner to maximize investment return, By the way, both sides of the house were rented on the first day of when it became available.

Click to Enlarge
tn_201561914219_Chimney%20error.jpg

69.95 KB