Insulation in sloped stud space

roughrow

New constructon, insulators left two stud spaces of about 18" each un insulated near the top of the wall. Didn't get it in before sheet rock and builders assured several times he would have the blown in insulation blown into these two adjacent areas on a south outside Texas wall.

My concern is a hot/cold zone, even though this is near the top of the slope on a 10' wall.

Other than an IR camera and trying to find the joists(insulation must be 18" thick) to wak to thie area, how can I verify these spaces are insulated. Digital thermometer?

Thank you.

You could try a digital IR thermometer i.e. 'point and shoot'. Wait for a hot day when the AC is on. No guarantee it will work, especially if the interior wall paint is light in color, which has a lower emissivity value than darker colors.

Even if it does work, your contractor may cast doubt on your method. He'd have a hard time arguing with an IR camera.

Marc

. . . Even if it does work, your contractor may cast doubt on your method. He'd have a hard time arguing with an IR camera.

Start with the point & shoot thermometer and confirm with the head of a hammer in the drywall. This has the advantage of providing a neat hole through which to shoot the new insulation.

The hammer option is the best choice. Quick and easy and difficult to argue with the findings.

Most of you have probably heard this story before. A new home builder is doing a walk through with the buyer. The buyer is obsessed with drywall issues. After awhile the builder gets frustrated, goes to his truck and gets a hammer. The next drywall issue the buyer points out the builder pulls his hammer out and knocks a hole in the wall. Next drywall issue same thing. Hole in the wall.

The buyer screams "What are you doing?". The builder responds with "I just wanted to make sure that my drywall contractor could see your problem".

New constructon, insulators left two stud spaces of about 18" each un insulated near the top of the wall. Didn't get it in before sheet rock and builders assured several times he would have the blown in insulation blown into these two adjacent areas on a south outside Texas wall.

My concern is a hot/cold zone, even though this is near the top of the slope on a 10' wall.

Other than an IR camera and trying to find the joists(insulation must be 18" thick) to wak to thie area, how can I verify these spaces are insulated. Digital thermometer?

Thank you.

what type insulation was used for the rest of the "stud bays"

why blown if different?

why wasn't blown installed?

my best advise is ? everything & hire a competent 3rd party inspector to review everything before closing

hth

Originally posted by John Kogel

You can use a hammer or you can use IR.

These are some insulation pics I found in my files.

Very nice photos. Which one of the pics shows the difference between air infiltration or leakage.

I can't say, not sure if i understand the question. There's an old house wall there where they blew in some insulation but hit diagonal bracing in the corners. Sunny side so the unsinsulated wall cavity is warmer.

There's a couple of ceilings with insulation batts missing. Stuff like that. The one wall with cool spots? We couldn't get in there to see. Just an idle curiosity until somebody tears in there with the hammer. [:)]