Ride along

wow

I wouldn't charge them but I'd dump them in a second if I thought they were not serious and ethical candidates.

Wouldn't be worried about them becoming my competition either. I've 14 years on them and this is a profession where many go 20 years and still not learn a dang thing.

It's an opportunity to advance the profession, but only if the candidate is both serious and ethical.

Marc

"Just remember you must include them at present on the inspection report."

That is a good idea but why do you say "must" include? Is this something that is required by your inspection standards?

And no, I do not charge for any ride alongs, but I don't take anyone, only people that i think are serious about getting into the profession.

In Illinois before new inspectors can get a State license, they have to complete 5 ride alongs with a licensed inspector. Before I agree to help train someone and let them follow me around I do a phone interview. I have to like the guy before I'll agree to spend a bunch of hours hanging out with him. I've only turned down 1 guy, because I felt he was pushy and rude. I select which houses we will work together on and I only do vacant properties together. Preferable a mixture of older and newer homes. The more problems the better. I do more then just let him follow me around I provide training and hopeful develop a relationship that will carry forward into the future.

That is a good idea but why do you say "must" include? Is this something that is required by your inspection standards?

And no, I do not charge for any ride alongs, but I don't take anyone, only people that i think are serious about getting into the profession.

Yes, Texas SOP requires :

The inspection report shall include:

the name and license number of each inspector who participated in performing the inspection, as well as the name(s) and license number(s) of any supervising real estate inspector(s) and sponsoring professional inspector(s), if applicable;

Yes, Texas SOP requires :

The inspection report shall include:

the name and license number of each inspector who participated in performing the inspection, as well as the name(s) and license number(s) of any supervising real estate inspector(s) and sponsoring professional inspector(s), if applicable;

But the student doesn't participate in performing, supervising or sponsoring the inspection. He just observes it.

Marc

I've taken probably 25 or 30 guys on ridealongs here in Central Kentucky. I take them with me on old houses with nasty crawl spaces and drag their ass clear to the back of the crawl space.

Only three went on to have successful home inspection businesses. The rest either never really started or quit when they realized it wasn't the easy money the home inspection schools promised them.

• 5 months later...
On 2/8/2017 at 8:59 AM, Mark P said:

In Illinois before new inspectors can get a State license, they have to complete 5 ride alongs with a licensed inspector. Before I agree to help train someone and let them follow me around I do a phone interview. I have to like the guy before I'll agree to spend a bunch of hours hanging out with him. I've only turned down 1 guy, because I felt he was pushy and rude. I select which houses we will work together on and I only do vacant properties together. Preferable a mixture of older and newer homes. The more problems the better. I do more then just let him follow me around I provide training and hopeful develop a relationship that will carry forward into the future.

That is one heck of a good way to look at it. I hope I find an inspector with your philosophy when it comes time for my ride along.