Scald Hazard

Mike Lamb

This is the hottest I have ever measured tap water. 152 F.

Click to Enlarge
tn_2017227165420_scald%20laser%20temp.jpg

28.08 KB

Click to Enlarge
tn_2017227165440_scald%20chart.jpg

56.71 KB

That's a really inaccurate way to measure water temperature.

And a better way is...?

Thermocouple. You can buy them as accessories to plug into your multimeter. I ditched my IR thermometer several years ago in favor of a thermocouple accessory for that reason.

Marc

I test water temp with my hand. If I can't hold it under the tap for more than 1 or 2 seconds it's too hot.

Your chart shows a third degree burn can occur in 1-2 seconds if water temps are between 148 and 155 degrees. I'd never risk testing water temps that way.

If I were you I wouldn't risk it either. The elderly and young children have a much slower reaction time.

I test water temp with my hand. If I can't hold it under the tap for more than 1 or 2 seconds it's too hot.

Your chart shows a third degree burn can occur in 1-2 seconds if water temps are between 148 and 155 degrees. I'd never risk testing water temps that way.

If I were you I wouldn't risk it either. The elderly and young children have a much slower reaction time.

Stupid is as stupid does. . .

Water that hot makes steam. Don't need to touch it, just look. Lotsa stuff we find just by looking.

Marc

And a better way is...?

An HVAC thermometer. Attach it to a small spring clamp. Let the water run while you do other stuff and glance at it every now and then. Not only will this allow you to see the peak temperature, but you will also see the temperature curve - making is really easy to spot broken dip tubes.

Click to Enlarge
tn_2017228131856_RIMG0035m.jpg

36.12 KB

[:-thumbu]

I assume clunking from the tank is another sign of a broken dip tube or sacrificial anode.

Dip tubes and anodes don't make any noise. The clunking happens when minerals build up in the tank and form scale. The scale holds small pockets of water at the bottom of the tank where they heat up really fast and actually boil. You're hearing the water turn into bubbles of steam.