Pre-sale Inspection question

I would like to start offering my inspection services to home owners that are wanting to sell their home. Does anyone else do this?

My thought is that I dont need to write a report for them...Be more like a consultant. I dont think I would need to charge as much, as I am not providing a report. That being said... A report might still be necessary or a good idea.

Do I need a contract?

Anyone have any experience with this?

Mississippi regulates home inspectors. It has a Standards of Practice similar to Louisiana's, both derived from ASHI's. What you propose would violate regulations (section 2.2 B among others). Once you inspect more than one 'system', you're bound by the regulatory requirements.

Welcome to the profession, and to this forum.

Marc

Almost any inspector will do a pre-listing inspection for an owner, but there is not much call for them. Sellers don't want to spend the money, either on the inspection or on repairs.

Some would rather not know if something is wrong, as they will be legally bound to disclose the condition of the house to a buyer.

The report can be used to help sell the house, so most clients will want one, house in reasonable good shape.

If no report, and you are a 'consultant', not an 'inspector', no violation of rules, AFAIK.

Almost any inspector will do a pre-listing inspection for an owner, but there is not much call for them. Sellers don't want to spend the money, either on the inspection or on repairs.

Some would rather not know if something is wrong, as they will be legally bound to disclose the condition of the house to a buyer.

The report can be used to help sell the house, so most clients will want one, house in reasonable good shape.

If no report, and you are a 'consultant', not an 'inspector', no violation of rules, AFAIK.

It's a regulatory violation down here. Doesn't matter what you call yourself. If what you did agrees with the definition of home inspection, it's got to comply with the requirements.

I don't do pre-listings. Last time I did, client got pissed because I found so many things wrong. He was trying to sell it and that's not what he wanted to hear. I don't think he'll ever call me again.

Marc

A pre sale inspection has consequences.

Once the seller is made aware of a defect they can not unring that bell.

If there is a disclosure statement by the seller the inspection issues has to be listed.

In California I believe the inspection becomes a historical document that must follow the property in all future sellers disclosures.

A pre sale inspection has consequences.

Once the seller is made aware of a defect they can not unring that bell.

If there is a disclosure statement by the seller the inspection issues has to be listed.

In California I believe the inspection becomes a historical document that must follow the property in all future sellers disclosures.

That's scary. The HI's liability never ends.

Marc

• 1 month later...

I do "repair consultations".  They don't include written reports.  I look around and find stuff.  We talk about it and they take notes.

Most home sellers are happy with this service because it gives them the majority of the info they need for 1/2 the cost of a full inspection.  I'm contracting with the client for exactly what they want.  I don't see a problem with doing this.