Compromised roof sheathing

Mike Lamb

13 hours ago, Mike Lamb said:

will soft delaminated plywood adversely affect the roof life or performance?

No one knows. 

I'd describe the issue, tell them to replace the damaged sheathing when they eventually replace the roof, and tell them that there's no way to determine whether or not the existing deteriorated sheathing will have any effect on the performance of the shingles. 

• 2 years later...

Jim Katen....if you dont know delamination of plywood reduces the amount of holding pressure on the nails holding the shingles, and increases the amount of expansion and contraction around them, creating lift to add to the weak hold....and state theres no way to determine if its state will effect the performance there of...your either incompetent or flat out lying.

4 hours ago, greyghost said:

Jim Katen....if you dont know delamination of plywood reduces the amount of holding pressure on the nails holding the shingles, and increases the amount of expansion and contraction around them, creating lift to add to the weak hold....and state theres no way to determine if its state will effect the performance there of...your either incompetent or flat out lying.

He could be both. . .

9 hours ago, greyghost said:

Could be.

But here's the rub: my opinion is based on observation and experience. Those have shown that there's really no way to predict what effect this will have on the future performance of the shingles. You can build a convincing-sounding train of logic to argue it either way, but the shingles can't read and will do what they do on their own.  

Is your opinion based on observations and experience or are you just arguing theory? 

I sure have not seen much 3-ply half inch decking.  Have seen plenty 3-ply 3/8 decking, which usually does not survive old shingle strip without delam.

What must have happened here was strip job required replacing some pieces, and replacement effort fell short of a good job.

Photo shows what will be a soft spot until it gets corrected (or not) by the next re-roof.

On 11/2/2019 at 3:05 AM, greyghost said:

Oh, Look!  Someone with a facebook attitude!

AND a blank profile.

Just one of many reasons why I don't participate in Facebook in any meaningful way. I don't like interacting with fools, I don't like seeing people that I respect behave like fools, and I don't like the prospect of acting like a fool myself, which seems to be the inevitable fate of the participants there. 

They're younger groups with large memberships.  Memberships that are small and have known each other longer don't behave that way.  All the guys here, I feel like I know them better than the neighbors across the street. I take great care not to insult them.

11 hours ago, Jim Katen said:

Just one of many reasons why I don't participate in Facebook in any meaningful way. I don't like interacting with fools, I don't like seeing people that I respect behave like fools, and I don't like the prospect of acting like a fool myself, which seems to be the inevitable fate of the participants there. 

I use Facebook and Instagram to promote my various adventures – home inspections, my fledgling hot sauce business, my artwork,  an occasional nice picture of my family.  I don't engage. I promote in a vanilla non-offensive way.

I think social media should be pretty much for cute animal pictures and pictures of awesome food. I love seeing great pictures of unhealthy food.  And that's about it.  

...probably burns like those black invisible fires of Hell...

"...Our earthly fire also consumes more or less rapidly according as the object which it attacks is more or less combustible, so that human ingenuity has even succeeded in inventing chemical preparations to check or frustrate its action. But the sulphurous brimstone which burns in hell is a substance which is specially designed to burn for ever and for ever with unspeakable fury. Moreover, our earthly fire destroys at the same time as it burns, so that the more intense it is the shorter is its duration; but the fire of hell has this property, that it preserves that which it burns, and, though it rages with incredible intensity, it rages for ever...."--James Joyce

Edited by Jim Baird
  • Like 1