Expansion/movement joints at brick veneer walls

Mike Lamb

I was doing some research on expansion joints at brick veneer in which the BIA (TECHNICAL NOTES on Brick Construction 18A) recommends a joint located every 20 to 25 feet depending on certain fenestrations. Then near the bottom of the notes at the opening remarks, it reads, "While most examples are for commercial structures, movement joints, although rare, also must be considered for residential structures."  

Why would residential construction be different?

3 hours ago, Mike Lamb said:

I was doing some research on expansion joints at brick veneer in which the BIA (TECHNICAL NOTES on Brick Construction 18A) recommends a joint located every 20 to 25 feet depending on certain fenestrations. Then near the bottom of the notes at the opening remarks, it reads, "While most examples are for commercial structures, movement joints, although rare, also must be considered for residential structures."  

Why would residential construction be different?

My guess is politics.  I don't know about Chicago but here in Louisiana, enforcement of resid building codes is lax.  Builders are able to influence the cities and parishes that are supposed to enforce the codes and they often end up having it their way.  Expansion joints take more time therefore cost the builder more so they don't want them.   Same story for a lot of other stuff.

I doubt a brick knows whether it's installed on a resid building or a commercial one.