Granulated Mod Bit or 90 Lb Felt

palmettoinspect

I agree it's Mod Bit.  The folds alone make it a defective install.  Looks like it was neither mopped nor torched but attached with a generous application of roofing cement and a few surface nails.  It's the classic DIY, nothing professional about it.  Not a problem over a screened porch if the buyer doesn't mind occasional leaks, otherwise replace it.

• 3 years later...

I have been roofing for 40 years, it is 90# granulated roll roofing or felt. It will hold for 8 to 10 years if it's properly sealed. I would have used a torch down like derby gum or a rubber I like whale skin, but for a less expensive roof I would go ahead with the 90 with a 4" gravel guard drip down both sides snipped, folded and sealed at the bottom edge. With a T-drip on the drain edge, with an  8" wide layer of Bull and glass around the outer edge on top of the 90, with a nice smooth taper so water can't stand against the bull and glass,  except on the drain edge with the T-drip. The T- drip should be under the 90 and that is the side you should go up on if it is absolutely necessary.  Then stay off the roof. Watch out that bull will get on your ear if you talk about it on the phone!

Edited by Roofer Den
mistake in directions.
  • Like 1

On 7/2/2021 at 5:07 AM, Roofer Den said:

I have been roofing for 40 years, it is 90# granulated roll roofing or felt. It will hold for 8 to 10 years if it's properly sealed. I would have used a torch down like derby gum or a rubber I like whale skin, but for a less expensive roof I would go ahead with the 90 with a 4" gravel guard drip down both sides snipped, folded and sealed at the bottom edge. With a T-drip on the drain edge, with an  8" wide layer of Bull and glass around the outer edge on top of the 90, with a nice smooth taper so water can't stand against the bull and glass,  except on the drain edge with the T-drip. The T- drip should be under the 90 and that is the side you should go up on if it is absolutely necessary.  Then stay off the roof. Watch out that bull will get on your ear if you talk about it on the phone!

You're right on! That's what I came to say, but you said it way better!