Disconnect for Condo panel

Gibsonguy

Hi guys,

I was hoping for someone to shed some light on a topic if possible. I have seen many condos without a main disconnect. I know an electrician who says that this is not allowed, however the sheer number I see would seem to contradict this. Every panel must be able to be serviced from inside the unit, and be able to shut it down as he says. I'm in QC. I was told that a main disconnect for a condo is not required  by an electrician on an electrician's forum but he says that's from the CEC... Anyone know?

Thanks in advance!

A "condo" is a form of ownership, not a type of building. I'm assuming that you're talking about multi-story apartment buildings?

In the US, the NEC doesn't require the main disconnect to be inside the unit. It can be in an electrical closet in the hallway, on a different floor, in the basement or parking garage, or anywhere else on the premises. The apartment occupants are supposed to have access to the main disconnect unless the building has "continuous building management supervision." Perhaps the CEC is similar? 

3 hours ago, Jim Katen said:

A "condo" is a form of ownership, not a type of building. I'm assuming that you're talking about multi-story apartment buildings?

In the US, the NEC doesn't require the main disconnect to be inside the unit. It can be in an electrical closet in the hallway, on a different floor, in the basement or parking garage, or anywhere else on the premises. The apartment occupants are supposed to have access to the main disconnect unless the building has "continuous building management supervision." Perhaps the CEC is similar? 

Yes, it is, altho any modern building will have a combination panel in the unit, which will have a main disconnect there. The older buildings will sometimes be lacking the main switch in the subpanel, but the main disconnect will always be there beside the meter, wherever that is.

Usually those rooms or cabinets are kept locked, but someone in the building has keys.

Try to arrange for a tour of the building utility rooms and get a picture of the main disconnect in the meter closet. That is the best way to verify the size of the service.

Edited by John Kogel

Thanks guys. This is exactly what I was looking for. I did mean apartment. Many here in Montreal do not have a disconnect in the panel itself. I was speaking to an electrician who told me it's required. I was just a bit "shocked" (pun intended) at all the previous panels I hadn't mentioned... but it appears it was all for naught. I appreciate you guys checking in and helping. 

• 1 month later...