Visiting San Franciso

Hey Steven, we were there abt a month ago and passed on the Alcatraz tour.  Maybe it is the criminal in my past life that made us not go.  
I really enjoyed the wharf(s) and the guided bus tour, open top one.  I had only been on one other tour in my life and went into that one with a bad attitude, came away feeling pretty good.  The entire city was lots of fun!

• Like 1

Thanks for the suggestion.

I was there in early September but it was 106 degrees so we really curtailed our activities. Since then my son went on the Alcatraz tour and said it was worth seeing so I will go. We did the wharfs and enjoyed the National park and boats there. I am looking for museum and architectural highlights for this trip.

15 hours ago, Bill Kibbel said:

We stay North across the bridge in Sausalito, Tiburon or Mill Valley. 

Hog Island oysters and cocktails at The Farmhouse in Point Reyes.

We have already have a place to stay in SOMA Square Apartments. We will use that as a home base. Going to rent a car for a day or two to explore.

5 hours ago, Charlie R said:

Take the time to walk across the bridge, doesn't take that long, great views of the bay, and helps work up that appetite. 

We also want to explore the adjacent park. Last time we were there my iPhone recorded between 21K and 23K steps every day. I wont feel guilty eating a little extra.

My suggestions:

•    SFMOMA (you are walking distance)
•    Avoid Pier 39
•    Ferry Building on the Embarcadero. Exploratorium is cool, but only if you have the time
•    Walk through Fisherman’s Wharf, but don’t linger and if you miss it altogether, that’s okay
•    Explore the waterfront: Fort mason, Marina green, Crissy field, Palace of Fine Arts
•    Drive tour the Presidio on your way to the Legion of Honor
•    Visit the DeYoung and explore Golden Gate park- natural history museum is a good call time permitting
•    Explore the Castro on foot
•    Stop at the Cliff House to get an overview of Ocean Beach. Thanh Long is a Vietnamese restaurant with incredible garlic crab
•    Hunan’s at 110 Natoma for excellent Chinese, and Yank Sing in the Rincon center for Dim Sum. Lots of fun bars in Northbeach
•    Top of the Mark Hopkins hotel for a drink, and the Tonga/hurricane room at the Fairmount as well
•    Go north across the Golden gate working your way to Bolinas. Bolinas peeps keep themselves hard to find so enjoy everything along the way

Cheers,

John

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, John Fryer said:

My suggestions:

•    SFMOMA (you are walking distance)
•    Avoid Pier 39
•    Ferry Building on the Embarcadero. Exploratorium is cool, but only if you have the time
•    Walk through Fisherman’s Wharf, but don’t linger and if you miss it altogether, that’s okay
•    Explore the waterfront: Fort mason, Marina green, Crissy field, Palace of Fine Arts
•    Drive tour the Presidio on your way to the Legion of Honor
•    Visit the DeYoung and explore Golden Gate park- natural history museum is a good call time permitting
•    Explore the Castro on foot
•    Stop at the Cliff House to get an overview of Ocean Beach. Thanh Long is a Vietnamese restaurant with incredible garlic crab
•    Hunan’s at 110 Natoma for excellent Chinese, and Yank Sing in the Rincon center for Dim Sum. Lots of fun bars in Northbeach
•    Top of the Mark Hopkins hotel for a drink, and the Tonga/hurricane room at the Fairmount as well
•    Go north across the Golden gate working your way to Bolinas. Bolinas peeps keep themselves hard to find so enjoy everything along the way

Cheers,

John

THANKS!!!