Probing for Rot

hausdok

Maybe you should add "I probe for rot using a custom tool".

Personally I use my trusty "pointy stick", a quick action, heavy duty, telescoping painters pole, with a cut-off paint roller frame sharpened to a chisel point. Handle filled with expoxy to make it rock solid. Enables me to probe everything from higher eaves to rim-joists in crawls and doubles as a cobweb remover in the crawls. Might also be useful for fighting off racoons, but I've never had that "pleasure" yet.

Mike...wassup with all the polls? You suffering from election withdrawal?

If it's finished wood, I'll use my thumb like Phillip does. Otherwise, I use a screwdriver.

When I was doing my tagalongs in 2000, I was with one inspector for most of them. He used a screwdriver for probing. I used to cringe watching him abuse the tool like that. Funny thing, I've been doing the same thing myself ever since.

Originally posted by Richard Moore

Personally I use my trusty "pointy stick", a quick action, heavy duty, telescoping painters pole, with a cut-off paint roller frame sharpened to a chisel point. Handle filled with expoxy to make it rock solid. Enables me to probe everything from higher eaves to rim-joists in crawls and doubles as a cobweb remover in the crawls. Might also be useful for fighting off racoons, but I've never had that "pleasure" yet.

Richard improved on my design. He added Epoxy. Must have cut off a cheap roller frame. I used a Wooster. It's got a thicker rod, don't ya know.

I probe exposed framing in the basement with a large steel rod with a handle attached (custom welded). I pound on the sills and also listen. Sometimes you can hear if the sill plate is hollow. Sometimes the probe breaks through hollow areas that looked good.

I gently probe finished surfaces with a screwdriver and/or my fingertip.

If there are rotted and/or insect damaged areas I call them out and recommend that a damage assessment be performed and all damages be repaired. I further explain in my report that destructive investigation is recommended and that this is beyond the scope of my inspection. I warn my clients that there is no way to know the extent of damage without some destructive investigation.

Hi Richard,

Just trying to do a little research is all.

Brandon, if you want a poll, send me an email with the topic and the questions. Only moderators and administrators can post polls here.

ONE TEAM - ONE FIGHT!!!

Mike

Mr. cheap modified a surplus closet pole. Drilled a pilot hole in the end and nailed a spike in to the hole. Cut off the nail(spike) head and put a point on it with a grinder. Works well in two and three deckers with 9/10 ceilings in my area. Poke the sill and other support beams. Get something soft, I get on a ladder for a closer look.

Scares the stuff out of nosey Realtors.[:-banghea

Originally posted by charlieb

Richard improved on my design. He added Epoxy. Must have cut off a cheap roller frame. I used a Wooster. It's got a thicker rod, don't ya know.

Would you custom tool builders care to share pictures of your creations?

Tom

Originally posted by Tom Raymond

Thanks Charlie. For some reason I kept thinking that the roller frame was cut off after the bend, but that would loose all its leverage at full extension and snag stuff on the back side of joists that you may not want to snag. I guess I was over thinking it.

Tom

I understand. I did cut this one after the bend. It was not hard to straighten it out.

After hanging with you folks for several years, only now can I see the web-site links, signatures and quotes. All because of a check box I ignored when I joined TIJ.

I wonder . . . out of the thousands of tasks/activities/hobbies in which I routinely participate, how many profile-like check boxes are merely resting peacefully, waiting to be enabled so they can enlighten me?

I may not sleep for days.

Originally posted by admin

Originally posted by Bain

Sorry, Mike. When I was returned to the thread, I realized you removed the dialogue with Michael.

I moved the dialog here:

https://www.inspectorsjournal.com/forum ... IC_ID=8588

Thanks for helping dig out the bug.

Michael

Of course, Michael. But you're being kind.

There really wasn't a bug. At fault was a little due diligence on my end for not paying closer attention to the settings.

Originally posted by admin

Sorry, Mike. When I was returned to the thread, I realized you removed the dialogue with Michael.

I moved the dialog here:

https://www.inspectorsjournal.com/forum ... IC_ID=8588

Thanks for helping dig out the bug.

Michael

Of course, Michael. But you're being kind.

There really wasn't a bug. At fault was a little due diligence on my end for not paying closer attention to the settings.

Ya... there really was a bug. The Poll shouldn't have been inside the hiding signatures condition. I had to move an end if statement up. If you turn off the signatures now you will still see the polls. The bug is gone now.

Thanks,

Michael

• 4 years later...