A Little Bit of Everything

hausdok

Hi All,

Have you ever reset the What's New search parameters to see what's been posted over the past few days, weeks. If not, try setting it to look backward for one week or two weeks. You'll be amazed at the number and variety of topics that get discussed in here; and, if you look at them more closely, the quality of the responses.

It's especially gratifying to see that the number of technical and sensible topics dwarfs the number of silly soap opera type topics that make up the majority of other home inspection board discussions.

We might be a sleepy little corner of the inspection world here, but I think we are the one that "got it right."

This is TIJ's 7th Anniversary and all of us on the TIJ Team want to thank each and every one of you for helping to keep this, if not the busiest, at least the best home inspection discussion board on the net.

ONE TEAM - ONE FIGHT!!!

Mike

Happy anniversary to Mike, Mike and Rose. You don't need to be told what an incredible thing you've got here. Thank you for the privilege of being part of it.

And thanks to everybody here. I don't reply much on technical topics, because I know there will always be one (or many) coming along soon to post an answer with more knowledge behind it than I could muster and often with more clarity and eloquence than I can ever hope to achieve. I mean that.

Speaking of anniversaries ....... Mike O, maybe you could clear up a mystery that has me puzzled. How is it that according to our profile pages, I've been a member since April 12, 2002, but yours says December 5, 2003?

Originally posted by Inspectorjoe

Speaking of anniversaries ....... Mike O, maybe you could clear up a mystery that has me puzzled. How is it that according to our profile pages, I've been a member since April 12, 2002, but yours says December 5, 2003?

Haven't a clue, Joe. I'll guess though that for some reason I'd deleted my profile and had to start all over again.

OT - OF!!!

M.

Ya know, I was just thinking during this afternoons' job, it was about this time of year that I was a "correspondent" to Inspection World from TIJ. Was that 7 years ago? Which IW was that? Albuquerque?

There were a total of about 3 posts on the whole site when I filed my report from the convention.

I think there was a story about Les' 100th anniversary in the business.....was that in the early TIJ, or was it later?

Yes, congrats and thanks to the triumvirate.

I don't want to sound treacly or maudlin, but it's the personalities of the more active members that make this place what it is. Wretches--the singular of which was an answer in today's NYT crossword--clued as "base person"--aren't tolerated long, but for the most part, everyone is treated with respect and dignity. I know I've had long days after which my synapses aren't firing up to speed, and I haven't communicated well in a post. But it's seldom when the responses to those posts are rude or pedantic.

As an oh-by-the-way for the uninitiated, when Katen responds to a post with, "Interesting . . . ," he probably has a different viewpoint than whatever you've expressed.

Originally posted by Bain

I don't want to sound treacly or maudlin, but it's the personalities of the more active members that make this place what it is. Wretches--the singular of which was an answer in today's NYT crossword--clued as "base person"--aren't tolerated long, but for the most part, everyone is treated with respect and dignity. I know I've had long days after which my synapses aren't firing up to speed, and I haven't communicated well in a post. But it's seldom when the responses to those posts are rude or pedantic.

As an oh-by-the-way for the uninitiated, when Katen responds to a post with, "Interesting . . . ," he probably has a different viewpoint than whatever you've expressed.

I think we should give John special credit for working the terms treacly, maudlin, wretches, and pedantic into the same post.

Perhaps he has some Brit in him...

I came here "green" as Kurt said, back at the old website/forum that was more like a chat room than this bells and whistles beauty we have now.

The people make the site what it is but it's very important to note the unimaginable time and effort that Mike, Mike Brown, and Rose have contributed. I'm willing to bet that they've made less money total than I've made in a good week.

While I was instructing, I had a hundred or so folks sit through 140 hours of death- by- powerpoint "education" with me controlling the next slide button. Because of this place I was able to offer an alternative view to business as usual and I was able to offer TIJ as an opportunity for continuous education. A few of the students are here among us on their quest to be the best.

One of the early topics at TIJ, for whatever reason, was underwear. Jimmy reached out to me in an email suggesting that one's undergarments should never be discussed on the board even if they were rather special that day. It was the first of many mails, laughs and friendships.

The people at TIJ made me want to excel, to be among the best.

I am indebted to your efforts.

Thanks to the TIJ Family. Just starting my 3rd year in the biz, and this place has helped me greatly. I have found so many answers to my questions in the archives from former posts. Plus I find it so easy to use.

When people recommend inspection tools, this place should be at the top of the list.

Frank

Originally posted by AHI in AR

I think we should give John special credit for working the terms treacly, maudlin, wretches, and pedantic into the same post.

I was involved with a gal from London for a couple of years. I suppose I'm the victim of a little osmosis.

She was spectacular, and she still flutters through my mind from time to time, always when I least expect it.

Originally posted by AHI in AR

I was involved with a gal from London for a couple of years. I suppose I'm the victim of a little osmosis.

She was spectacular, and she still flutters through my mind from time to time, always when I least expect it.

Treacly gave it away.

But it appears I had it backwards.

There's no Brit in you; you were in...ummm....

Nevermind.

Originally posted by kurt

Ya know, I was just thinking during this afternoons' job, it was about this time of year that I was a "correspondent" to Inspection World from TIJ. Was that 7 years ago? Which IW was that? Albuquerque?

There were a total of about 3 posts on the whole site when I filed my report from the convention.

I think there was a story about Les' 100th anniversary in the business.....was that in the early TIJ, or was it later?

I believe you are correct. Albuquerque was the first IW I was able to attend and I do recall you being a field correspondent. Couldn't even stay on site. Walked in daily from the Blue Moon Hotel. It seems so long ago.

There are lots of GREAT ideas we come up with in life. What a different place Mike has created by bringing his to fruition. So, when does TIJ U start up. It's been on the back burner for quite a while.

A thousand mile journey begins with one step.

Originally posted by hausdok

Originally posted by charlieb

So, when does TIJ U start up. It's been on the back burner for quite a while.

A thousand mile journey begins with one step.

S'funny you should mention that. Just yesterday I was emailing some folks about that idea.

OT - OF!!!

M.

[:-slaphap

After all these years it would seem I'd get some kind of senior discount. $100.00 a year seems a little steep! Wouldn't surprise me if some of you are only paying $25.00 per year.

TIJ U will appear one day.

IW in Albuquerque was the most expensive one I ever attended. I actually spent most of Friday night with homeless folks outside the Convention Center. That was also the year JD and I thought we may stop smoking and start growing peppers!

Manners and being civil prevail here - Thank You for that!

Yeah, Albuquerque and the street people......

Remember how, around 10:30pm every night, all of a sudden it was like the show "Cops"? We'd hear the sirens and sit in the hotel room window and watch the squads chasing folks all over the place.

Found out later that something like 1/2 of the "Cops" shows from that era were filmed in Albuquerque.