Shoe Covers

sepefrio

Did an inspection recently where I had to go back and sweep the entire kitchen cause of the mess I dragged in (a rainy day). I'm just curious, how many of you all use shoe covers? Do any of you bring two pair of shoes, one for inside one for outside.

I've just thought that taking the covers on and off all the time is such a hassle and most that I see don't look like they would last an inspection. The cheap ones are really cheap.

So, just curious what you do, shoe covers, 2 pairs of shoes or just make sure your shoes are clean before you go in the house?

P.S. For those that use shoe covers, got a link for some decent priced ones that will last more than 5-10 steps?

Did an inspection recently where I had to go back and sweep the entire kitchen cause of the mess I dragged in (a rainy day). I'm just curious, how many of you all use shoe covers? Do any of you bring two pair of shoes, one for inside one for outside.

I've just thought that taking the covers on and off all the time is such a hassle and most that I see don't look like they would last an inspection. The cheap ones are really cheap.

So, just curious what you do, shoe covers, 2 pairs of shoes or just make sure your shoes are clean before you go in the house?

P.S. For those that use shoe covers, got a link for some decent priced ones that will last more than 5-10 steps?

I kick off my shoes at the door and walk around in my socks.

- Jim Katen, Oregon

I pulled rags out of the "rags-in-a-box" box, stood on the pristine white rags, and showed that there was no dirt on my shoes.

And, being the curmudgeon that I am, if a seller asked me to take my shoes off, I said, "You're insulting my mother, my grandmother and all my female ancestors. I was taught how to clean my own feet."

WJ

Ditto.

I can't tell you how many times I've found/ felt something with my feet before seeing it; I wouldn't have with shoes on.

Plus, I can guarantee any irate homeowners that I never wear shoes inside of a home, so there's no way I stained the flooring. If they have issues they can take it up with someone else. The only problem is that I go through a lot of socks.

Hi,

I arrive in clean shoes and then switch to outside/roof/crawlspace shoes for outdoors. I kick 'em off when I come inside and walk in my socks. We also have slippers in the car that are only for indoors. Yung arrives, removes her shoes and dons her clean slippers. I've only had pushback once from an Indian couple when she wore her slippers. I pointed out to them that, being a half-Asian household, we don't wear shoes in our house at home and that those slippers are specifically for walking around in clean homes. They backed off.

I hate those stupid surgical booties. They're never big enough to get on over my shoes without a battle and then I have to take them on and off whenever I come in and go out? Nope, kick 'em off and walk around in socks. I've got a pair of big wooly socks to wear over my regular socks if the place is just plain gross.

ONE TEAM - ONE FIGHT!!!

Mike

Well...if the place is just plain gross, a fixer, etc I just keep my shoes on, the same as the agent and clients. Those ones are pretty obvious. Otherwise it's socks for me too. Besides my roof shoes I also keep another pair of clean slip-on shoes to use in the attics for when my original shoes have picked up any mud or dirt. Oh, and I do put shoes (clean ones) on for the panel if it's in a finished room.

I also can't stand the bootie covers. For some reason they make me feel like I should be shuffling around with my butt hanging out of a hospital gown. No one wants to see that!

Dang, taking your shoes off must add 30 min to the inspection. Just at the start, the routine for me is like:

Go in, do the contract and brief.

Go out and get my tools (this is more so they don't feel pressured singing the contract).

Come back, see the contract signed then go back outside and start with the exterior.

So I'm not there 10 minutes and I've taken my shoes off and put them back on twice already, geesch

Ido like the slippers idea kind cool, but the "feeling" stuff with your feet also makes sense. Hrmmmmmm

Dang, taking your shoes off must add 30 min to the inspection.

LOL...they're not army boots! All of my inspection shoes are the slip on type with the elastic gussets...no laces. Snug enough but I can slip my feet in and out of them on without even bending down. Quicker than covers. Being the fashion plate that I am (not) I usually shop for shoes at Big5. Whatever is on sale!

I'm just very careful when I'm in a home. I would say that 80% of the time I do not remove or change my shoes. I do carry shoe covers and an extra pair of shoes (Crocks) if I need them.

If it is wet outside, I will put my rain boots/shoes on. I wear a size 12 shoes and don't have a problem with the covers. I can usually get several wearings from a pair of shoe covers. I think they cost around $50 for a box of 100, be sure you get the non-slip type.

Dang, taking your shoes off must add 30 min to the inspection.

I might cross the front threshold 30 times during an inspection. I wear Birkenstock Bostons. They're open in the back and I don't even have to break my stride to slip them on or off. I estimate that taking them on & off adds 0 minutes to the inspection.

Just at the start, the routine for me is like:

Go in, do the contract and brief.

Go out and get my tools (this is more so they don't feel pressured singing the contract).

Come back, see the contract signed then go back outside and start with the exterior.

I know it's off topic, but you're customers *do* feel pressured to sign the contract in that situation. Everyone's there; what choice do they really have? We email or fax the contract out a few minutes after booking the inspection. In most cases, we have the signed agreement in our files 24 hours before the inspection takes place.

I do like the slippers idea kind cool, but the "feeling" stuff with your feet also makes sense. Hrmmmmmm

I think that cleaning your shoes really well, switching to indoor footwear, or putting on booties are all fine ways to deal with the issue. I like to kick off my shoes because I feel very uncomfortable wearing shoes indoors. It feels like I'm wearing snowshoes.

- Jim Katen, Oregon

- Jim Katen, Oregon

What do you do if your pants get dirty?

Heh, heh, heh. "Gee my pant's are really dirty. You folks don't mine if I . . . " I can see it now: women would scream, men would become physically ill, and children would be scarred for life.

(Actually, if they get really dirty, I keep a spare pair in the car.)

- Jim Katen, Oregon

LOL...they're not army boots!

Nope not US Army but Ummmm......

http://www.soldiercity.com/belleville-u ... =affiliate

I might cross the front threshold 30 times during an inspection. I wear Birkenstock Bostons. They're open in the back and I don't even have to break my stride to slip them on or off. I estimate that taking them on & off adds 0 minutes to the inspection.

I think I need to go shopping for some new shoes. I just hate shoes open in the back, things just tend to get between my feet and the shoe, and that drives me crazy.

I know it's off topic, but you're customers *do* feel pressured to sign the contract in that situation. Everyone's there; what choice do they really have? We email or fax the contract out a few minutes after booking the inspection. In most cases, we have the signed agreement in our files 24 hours before the inspection takes place.

I do the same thing, just seems most people "forget" to sign it.

I think I need to go shopping for some new shoes. I just hate shoes open in the back, things just tend to get between my feet and the shoe, and that drives me crazy.

For years, I would only wear Columbia trail shoes with the Omni- sole. They were very soft and had great traction for roofs. The problem is that they are kinda expensive because they wear out quickly in this line of work.

I searched for an alternative for years. Any time I was near a store that sold shoes and boots, I'd stop and and do a search. I wanted a shoe that I could wear on a roof, while still wearing the same shoe for crawlspaces, and the rest of the inspection. The shoe needed to stay looking nice. First impressions are pretty important in this business; sometimes that's all you get.

The Columbia's got dirty and stained easily (cloth). They tore, soles wore out quickly, etc. I recently stumbled into the first pair of shoes that I feel that I can possibly wear for years, while keeping them looking decent. They are the Timberland Arida Oxford #87097 http://www.shoebuy.com/timberland-arida ... 129/293221 (look at the other reviews) The soles are absolutely great for roofs (best I have ever found unless you go to specialty roof wear), they are leather so you can keep them lookin' nice, and 6 months later the soles and leather still look great.

PS: I buy shoes about a half to a full size larger than I typically wear. I find that I get a little more traction on the roof that way, and they slip on and off quickly without bending down. I may lose a grand total of 1 minute slipping shoes on and off during an inspection.

I am also mildly offended by being asked to take my shoes off when entering someone's house during an inspection (Do I not look smart enough to clean my shoes before entering? Are the floors too good for my shoes?). Plus, I've pulled too many nails and tacks out of my boot soles over the years to even consider it. I wear citrus-scented Shu-bee surgical covers over my boots whenever necessary, and hand them out to clients etc as well. They're cheap, smell nice, and work great.

I always keep a pair of these in my back pocket, I bought two hundred for $20 a couple years ago and still have a 2/3 left, can get 2-3 inspections out of them

I usually ask agent or homeowner if they want me to wear them especially nicer homes.... usually they don't care, sometimes they appreciate the gesture....

Some homes I won't wear they so they won't get dirty.

http://www.galeton.com/item_detail.asp?SKU=9915

Jerry