Porch Decking

I installed this decking after replacing all the framing for a porch at my house last week.

It looks very appropriate, machines nicely and will hold paint. Even unpainted it looks like wood. When it's painted I'm pretty sure even the most discerning eye won't pick up on the fact that it's recycled pop bottles.

I ordered the ogee trim too; it's identical to what I (and the wdo's) took off.

I'll post some pics when it's painted.

Cost per sf?

It's expensive ~$12 with screws. I paid $31.50 for each 3-1/8" x 12' board and I had to work the supplier like a sore rib to get that price. If any of you buy it cheaper than that, don't tell me.

You could put all my waste in a 1 gallon paint can and I'm trying to figure out what I can use it for... I can't make myself throw it away.

Cost per sf?

It's expensive ~$12 with screws. I paid $31.50 for each 3-1/8" x 12' board and I had to work the supplier like a sore rib to get that price. If any of you buy it cheaper than that, don't tell me.

You could put all my waste in a 1 gallon paint can and I'm trying to figure out what I can use it for... I can't make myself throw it away.

Yikes,

I can get 3/4 by 3-1/4 T & G Douglas Fir here which is an exact match to the original old porch flooring for $2.05 a linear foot.

ONE TEAM - ONE FIGHT!!!

Mike

The last time I did mahogany it was 60 some cents a lineal foot, 1x3 T&G, flat one side, mini bevel the other, virtually clear. It was a wierd species though, very similar to spanish cedar but more open. The tropical species start around $2, and ipe machined to match the plastic stuff is around $3 a lineal.

Tom

I had a scary experience about a week ago with these recycled plastic 2X6's. I thought they were just well-painted wood, was more interested in the roof at that point. I got up to about the fifth rung and the ladder started to skid out from under me. I just caught the edge of the gutter to save myself and pull the ladder up straighter so it would stay put. My Jaws ladder doesn't normally slip on wood decking, but vinyl or this hard plastic doesn't give the same grip.

The client was delighted, though. One part of the shack that didn't need work. [:)]

Well, except for the missing railings, that is.

If the prices came down a bit, I know we'd see more of this stuff. It's a great product.

Click to Enlarge
tn_201042313553_plasticdek.jpg

64.33 KB

Click to Enlarge
tn_201042313638_plasticdek2.jpg

63.48 KB

No argument about that plastic being slippery but your ladder doesn't have much bearing area on the porch. The ladders that I've seen have these pivoting rubber pads that pivot to make full contact with the floor, regardless of the angle of the ladder.

Of course, you already know that.

Marc