Jump to content


Popular Content

Showing content with the highest reputation on 11/22/2018 in all areas

  1. 1 point
    There was a time when I used a multimeter daily, so I still have a Fluke 289, an 88 and a bunch of accessories. I recently lost my SureTest so I broke out my Fluke and it's now my daily driver on inspections. It's a little more cumbersome than the SureTest but it's paid for and I trust it without reservation. I use the inductive amp clamp and the thermometer the most, but I also use it for testing polarity, grounds and anytime the three light tester reports something funky.
  2. 1 point
    With the single exception of looking for minor current on water pipes, I can't imagine a situation where a home inspector would need to be able to measure milliamps. And even that exception is pushing it. If you're going to use it on the job it'll be for testing the operation of heating elements in water heaters, amp draw at compressors, operation of electric furnace/heat pump elements, and for more in-depth testing of receptacles than you can do with a three-light tester. That's all pretty crude work. You don't need anything more precise than a tenth of an amp and you don't need true RMS. Any of the baseline meters from the major manufacturers will be fine. I started using a lot of UEI equipment because they were headquartered here and I could stop in for free repairs that were done while I watched. After a while, I just got to really like them. Sperry & GB are fine. It's hard to go wrong with Fluke. Like point & shoot cameras, it doesn't really make a whole lot of difference.
  • Create New...