Siding help?

RickSab

I don't get a lot of wood siding like this in my area so I need the collective brain trusts help. This house was remodeled probably pre 1990. Many of the siding panels have a series of holes that are repeated at consistent spacing. It looks like the feed roller punctured the panel as it ran through the production line.

Is this a known problem with sheet goods siding? Any guess as to the brand?

Thanks in advance.

Click to Enlarge
tn_201079125529_P1040142.jpg

22.16 KB

Rick,

yes it is a common problem/defect. We see it on almost a daily basis. Many different mfgs. not so common in the recently mfg'd stuff as they now fill the second ply before lamination. at least that is what GP does.

My first thought was wood peckers,but the holes always lined up perfectly and repeated on some sheets at the exact same spacing. Always horizontal patterns about 30 inches apart.

The woodpecker is punching holes in a perfectly straight line because the gap in the middle layer of veneer is in a perfectly straight line. That's where the bugs go.

Around here, they'd be mason bees. They crawl into those long, narrow tunnels formed by the gap in the veneer, and they lay their eggs. They place an egg, then a plug with some food, another egg, another plug with some food, and so on. The eggs hatch into larvae, who eat the food and then pupate. Now here's the interesting part, the pupae emerge as adult bees in reverse order. So the last egg laid emerges, leaving room for her sister, who emerges next & so on. Except that sometimes the woodpeckers find them first.

- Jim Katen, Oregon

My first thought was wood peckers, but the holes always lined up perfectly and repeated on some sheets at the exact same spacing. Always horizontal patterns about 30 inches apart.

The inner veneer strips are laid that way, crossways with a little gap between strips, then the top sheet is laid over that, forming little tubes that bugs like.

It's amazing how timely some of these topics are. I just looked at a house Thursday with three varieties of plywood siding and each of them had been holed like in the OP. I had assumed carpenter bees, now I know better.

On the topic of wood peckers, my parents have had one for the past several years that seems to like the meter base. Several times a week in the summer months he bangs on that metal enclosure in ten to fifteen minute sessions. Persistant little bugger.

Tom