Appliance recall search function

I've just spent a couple hours trying to get my Adobe Acrobat Pro search function to automatically search just the model # lists in a folder full of CPSC recall notices when I enter a particular model #. I thought I'd try to add a new feature to my reports. No luck. Anyone experience any success with this yet?

Marc

Marc

I'm assuming your using the "Open Full Acrobat Search..." under the "Find" dialog box.

You should be able to browse a location (All pdf Documents In...), type some numbers in the box below and have it search.

This is a good idea. I've been debating doing this in in Word while writing the report and having it search an MS Access Database. Where did you find the PDF with all the serial & model numbers?

Interesting. That's a very useful tip Roy.

It isn't a pdf, it's a folder full of CPSC recall pdf documents, just those involving appliances that are commonly inspected during a Home Inspection. Searching the entire document yields too many false hits. I can't get the Adobe Acrobat to search only the frames within the pdf's that list the model/serial numbers of the affected appliance.

Terry uses a service that charges $9/report but I'd like to avoid paying that $9 if I can.

Marc

I have been using the RecallChek program with 3D, it is a nice little report to offer the clients. It comes to them a secondary e-mail with a PDF report attached. I am paying $7 per report which I include with my inspection fee. I don't see anything ethically wrong with it. If anything it is an extra service for your clients. It does take a bit of extra time to input the type, brand, model and serial #s, but not to bad.

I have been using the RecallChek program with 3D, it is a nice little report to offer the clients. It comes to them a secondary e-mail with a PDF report attached. I am paying $7 per report which I include with my inspection fee. I don't see anything ethically wrong with it. If anything it is an extra service for your clients. It does take a bit of extra time to input the type, brand, model and serial #s, but not to bad.

Do you make a buck or two extra also, or just charge at cost?

Thanks to Terry, I've seen my first RecallChek report. Impressive graphics but I think I'd simply integrate any recalls into my existing HI report by using a copy/paste operation, just the recall language itself. The abundant disclaimer language that comes with the RecallChek report would be redundant once inside my report. Either that or attach the CPSC recall notice themselves in the appendix with a 'pointer' in the applicable section of the report.

Yeah, I'm considering it, especially if the incidence of applicable recalls is high, like an average of 1 recall in every other report. To me, that would feel like a significant omission in an HI report if you didn't include it. It's right up our alley.

Marc