fuse panel and breaker wired to lugs

CheckItOut

Just checking to see if there is some funky fine print clause somewhere the just pertains to fuse panels that might allow this. House built in the 20's and you can see a 10 AWG wire attached to the lugs at the top. Wires then exit the box and go into a box with one breaker - no label and I could not open that little box and have no idea the rating of the breaker - box was painted closed and breaker handle painted in place - nice.

Click to Enlarge
tn_201072201418_7-21-10%20029%20(Large).jpg

57.66 KB

Never allowed.

But since you asked about fine print, in some commercial buildings, you might have been able to get away with this for supplying power to the certain critical systems such as exit signs or emergency lighting. Nowadays, we have reliable battery power sources for those systems and we don't have to squeak around the code anymore.

- Jim Katen, Oregon

Never allowed.

But since you asked about fine print, in some commercial buildings, you might have been able to get away with this for supplying power to the certain critical systems such as exit signs or emergency lighting. Nowadays, we have reliable battery power sources for those systems and we don't have to squeak around the code anymore.

- Jim Katen, Oregon

That is interesting. Thanks for your comment.

Doesn't this break the 6-Hand Movement rule for emergency cutoff? I understand the number was greater in the past, but I was taught that there should be no tapping of the main wire before the main cutoff for the home. That makes it an unsafe situation, right? That's how I'd have written it up.

Just replacing the whole box is an excellent recommendation for sure!