• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mike,

If you were a true minimalist, you'd just throw a couple of towels in the Baja and go to nearby Lake Bronson!

OK, maybe an air mattress for the bad back.

Nah,

You remember all of those screaming women on the Ed Sullivan show when the Beatles debuted in America back in '63/'64? Well, if I walk onto a nude beach, once those women get a gander at me in the buff they'll go nuts and stampede over anyone within miles just to get to me. It would be very irresponsible of me to allow that to happen.

ONE TEAM - ONE FIGHT!!!

Mike

Kurt,

A bottom of the line gasser class A runs a minimum of $100,000. Bottom of the line diesel pusher is $175,000. Most of the ones you see are around $300,000. Those prevost's are the top of the line, each one is custom built for the buyer. They fly you in so you can pick out your own leather, granite, paint, graphics, they etc. There is no such thing as standard. most easily run well over a million dollars.

The classic definition of a RVer is "a guy in a million dollar motorhome driving around looking for a free space to park".

You remember all of those screaming women on the Ed Sullivan show when the Beatles debuted in America back in '63/'64? Well, if I walk onto a nude beach, once those women get a gander at me in the buff they'll go nuts and stampede over anyone within miles just to get to me.

Me too. If I'm standing in front of the only exit.

• 3 weeks later...

Yes Marc but it also serves as a anti-sway hitch as well. Mine makes a hell of a racket with pops, pings and groans. Just wondering what others have found.

Add some grease to the hitch end of the springs before inserting them into the bottom of the hitch. Do that every once in a while. The chains should hang pretty much straight up and down when the trailer lines up with the vehicle. If they're not, adjust their location on the trailer beams.

It does provide some sway control because of the transfer of some load from the back tires of the vehicle to the front. A sway bar does a better job if you favor more control. I knew a guy that had sway bars on both sides. If the sway bars are turned too tight, the trailer tends to fight you when you try to turn a curve. That can be dangerous.

Marc

Yes Marc but it also serves as a anti-sway hitch as well. Mine makes a hell of a racket with pops, pings and groans. Just wondering what others have found.

Add some grease to the hitch end of the springs before inserting them into the bottom of the hitch. Do that every once in a while. The chains should hang pretty much straight up and down when the trailer lines up with the vehicle. If they're not, adjust their location on the trailer beams.

It does provide some sway control because of the transfer of some load from the back tires of the vehicle to the front. A sway bar does a better job if you favor more control. I knew a guy that had sway bars on both sides. If the sway bars are turned too tight, the trailer tends to fight you when you try to turn a curve. That can be dangerous.

Marc

No chains Marc. Too long of a video but you'll get the picture.

[utube]

" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="344">

Interesting. Those don't look like springs, looks rather like rigid box tubing. I wonder what happens when you go over a railroad track that sits on an elevated bed. Does the hitch allow the vehicle to have a different slope than the trailer?

Marc

Do you mean 'weight distributing' hitch? I've one of those but haven't used it since upgrading to a 3/4 Dodge diesel.

Marc

Terence,

I experienced the same thing and thought, for a while, it was the anti-sway bar tension, but nothing helped. It was driving me nuts. Then one day I realized that the bottom of the tongue of the trailer was scraping across the top of the hitch assembly, which is squared off to accomodate the mounts for the springs bars.

Click to Enlarge
tn_2010815194528_DSCN8141.jpg

39.97 KB

I took it back to the RV place that set it all up and they apologetically switched out to a slightly raised tow ball. That was the fix - no more racket.

Click to Enlarge
tn_2010815194715_DSCN8142.jpg

31.95 KB

So, double-check to make sure that your the tow ball mount isn't getting scraped.

Terence,

I have the equalizer as well and it did the same thing until it wore in. I put a little grease on the ball and in between the socket that the bars fit in and the hitch head. The fist time I hooked it up and turned a corner I thought I had twisted something in half.

I used white grease on all friction points on the WD bars. I thought about greasing the ball but I can't help getting a mental image of the TT popping off on the highway. [:-scared]

Terence,

I have the equalizer as well and it did the same thing until it wore in. I put a little grease on the ball and in between the socket that the bars fit in and the hitch head. The fist time I hooked it up and turned a corner I thought I had twisted something in half.

I used white grease on all friction points on the WD bars. I thought about greasing the ball but I can't help getting a mental image of the TT popping off on the highway. [:-scared]

Being a shade tree mechanic in one of my past lives, I'm a freak about lubrication. Any lube fluid that can be changed gets changed needed or not - rear axles, transmissions, engine, etc. It's how I've gotten 284,000 miles out of a past vehicle and my current F150 is tripping 254,000 now.

That being said, since the day I bought my trailer, I've asked countless trailer technicians about greasing up the towball, and to my surprise, it's always met with total indifference. They always say something along the lines of, "Well, if you want." or "It won't hurt." So, I have yet to put the first dab of grease on my towball, and as you can see in the picture above, it's looking like new.

It's kind of wierd, but apparently, it's not critical. I'm sure that's not the case with fifth wheels, though.

Terence,

. . . . I'm a freak about lubrication.

Me, too. Totally . . . .

Terence,

Me, too. Totally . . . .

Umm.. you talkin' about the same thing here John, trailer hitch??? [:-magnify

Terence,

Me, too. Totally . . . .

Umm.. you talkin' about the same thing here John, trailer hitch??? [:-magnify

Dang! My bad... I TOTALLY overlooked the fact that the comment in question came from Bain. What was I thinking? I'm a little slow today. [:-party]

I know squat about trailer hitches. As for the other? I was just sayin', that's all . . .

Well, let me make this perfectly unclear; anyone whose trailer hitch is closer than 18" to the ground probably needs lubrication. Just keep it out of the dirt, because grit's no good. It will definitely grind the hell out of the hitch. [:D]

So, where were we anyway? Oh yeah - Trailers!

Just curious, Terry. Did it turn out that the bottom of you tongue was scraping the top of the hitch? (Bain... don't go there... ) [:-propell

I'm pretty sure it's not rubbing Mike. I've only got 200 miles on the hitch so far but I don't see any unusual wear spots.

Equal-i-zer sells rubber pads, that mount onto the L bracket for the wd bar, that are designed to help with noise. I bought two of them and will try it on the next run. Also what Dave said about it being new I'm sure holds true.

It does what it is designed to do though. I had a few semi's blow past me and it didn't budge, steady as a rock.

I didn't think John was talking about trailer hitches [8]