ASHI School

So, all you ASHI members, are you embarrassed yet?

For those not in the loop, ASHI School is now pushing mold testing, with the strong subtext that this is a great way to increase income and cash flow. Basically, mold is gold, pushed by the mopes and dopes at ASHI.

And, guess who's at the base of the pyramid of cash flow? The dynamic duo.

They're baaaaaaack.............

For those not in the loop, ASHI School is now pushing mold testing, with the strong subtext that this is a great way to increase income and cash flow. Basically, mold is gold, pushed by the mopes and dopes at ASHI.

They're baaaaaaack.............

My exact reaction when I read the unsolicited e-mail last night. It contained the exact same inaccurate bullshit as all the other mold-is-gold scams.

and I was sure it was just four or five ashi members pissing and moaning. I have abt twenty years invested in membership, just to learn I have been a fool for approx 12yrs!

nothing personal, just bs regardless of source.

I am embarrassed.

Please excuse my ignorance, but I haven't been paying attention to HI orgs for the past few years. Who are the dynamic duo?

Please excuse my ignorance, but I haven't been paying attention to HI orgs for the past few years. Who are the dynamic duo?

I'll take a stab - Casey and O'Malley?

Not embarrassed just not interested. I really don't think they matter. I don't think any of the current associations matter. Consumers in my area don't care and few know who or what ASHI is. Now that Florida has licensing in place this will be my last year as an ASHI member. I can buy a nice trolling rod and reel for $399.00.

Honest, competent mechanics are a lot easier to find than their counterpart in the home inspection field.

True enough.

I know a number of really amazing mechanics, just be nice to them and they make miracles happen.

Home inspectors, not so much..........

Excepting a handful of folks that I know from here, I'm embarrassed by everything and everyone that has something to do with home inspection.

Well, that's encouraging... [:-weepn]

Truthfully, while I've been a member of ASHI and NAHI for many years, I don't pay too much attention to either. Their kinda like "church" the closer you get to the internal workings, the more it smells and the more likely you are to run across someone on a mission to feel better about themself by making you feel worse about yourself.

Honest, competent mechanics are a lot easier to find than their counterpart in the home inspection field.

True enough.

I know a number of really amazing mechanics, just be nice to them and they make miracles happen.

I make a point of giving our trash collector a big, cold, bottle of Powerade when he picks up the trash on Friday. The main reason I do this is because he's bustin' a hump doing this on 95 degree days (not to mention the stench). I only have to spend 10-15 minutes in a really friggin' hot attic. The Golden Rule is a pretty easy code in which to live by.

Anyway... I've never been charged for any "questionable" items as well.

Excepting a handful of folks that I know from here, I'm embarrassed by everything and everyone that has something to do with home inspection.

Their kinda like "church" the closer you get to the internal workings, the more it smells and the more likely you are to run across someone on a mission to feel better about themself by making you feel worse about yourself.

Ah crap.... that's funny.

I really don't think they matter. I don't think any of the current associations matter. Consumers in my area don't care and few know who or what ASHI is. Now that Florida has licensing in place this will be my last year as an ASHI member. I can buy a nice trolling rod and reel for $399.00.

That's my take. Few know, fewer care, and after this, I'm sure as hell not talking about ASHI.

$399 is a decent plane ride somewhere warm this winter.

I think we should start a list of all the things that ASHI dues would pay for that are worthwhile.......we got us a rod & reel, a plane ride.........

The consumer judges the mechanic. The judgement of HI's is predominately done by agents. The mechanic who doesn't meet the stiff expectations of the consumer quickly goes out of business. Agents want an HI that doesn't break the sale, either deliberately or via incompetence, so the incompetent inspector that worships agents generally leads the profession in sales.

Marc

The consumer judges the mechanic. The judgement of HI's is predominately done by agents. The mechanic who doesn't meet the stiff expectations of the consumer quickly goes out of business. Agents want an HI that doesn't break the sale, either deliberately or via incompetence, so the incompetent inspector that worships agents generally leads the profession in sales.

Marc

The only part of that equation, that I always wonder about is that you'd think that incompetent inspectors would deal with an endless river of complaints.

I personally HATE complaints and do what we must to avoid them - be thorough. I might field a complaint about every two years. If I was getting them constantly, I'd have be a nervous wreck.

So, how do guys that candy coat everything or sweep stuff under the rug 1. endure the complaints and 2. keep getting the referrals?

Frankly, it doesn't add up to me...

I think we should start a list of all the things that ASHI dues would pay for that are worthwhile.......we got us a rod & reel, a plane ride.........

2-night caribbean cruise (suite).

Marc

2-night caribbean cruise (suite).

Marc

Shoot! In this economy, my favorite Carnival Vacation planner keeps sending my cruise deals that are 4 days 3 nights for under $200.00 (inside cabin of course, but who spends time in the cabin?)

The only part of that equation, that I always wonder about is that you'd think that incompetent inspectors would deal with an endless river of complaints.

I personally HATE complaints and do what we must to avoid them _ be thorough. I might field a complaint about every two years. If I was getting them constantly, I'd have be a nervous wreck.

So, how do guys that candy coat everything or sweep stuff under the rug 1. weather the complaint and 2. keep getting the referrals?

Frankly, it doesn't add up to me...

Valid point. Let me try this....someone mentioned recently that WJ didn't walk roofs or enter crawlspaces, correct? Don't get me wrong, from his posts, I'd say he was highly competent, stands head & shoulders above me on inspection knowledge right now, but he still managed to have a long career as an inspector. How so?

I know similiar inspectors like that in my area except that they are woefully short on inspection knowledge but they too know how to stay out of trouble and have been in business longer than I. What's the word for that type of inspector?

Marc

I know one like that. His answer is simple. Put 10% of gross aside to cover complaints.

Hmm, $399.00!

Bain could get himself a couple of nights in one of these. Don't know how well it handles that rhythmic lateral loading though.

$199.00 a night leaves a buck left for coffee!!

Click to Enlarge
tn_201073019727_RV.jpg

24.96 KB

Top 10 Reasons to Rent a RV

Sleep in your own bed each night.

No lines at the restroom.

You decide when it is suppertime.

A different view from your window each night.

No packing and unpacking luggage.

If you do not like your neighbors you can move.

Clean restrooms and clean sheets.

Flexible travel plans.

Economical family vacation.

Getting there is half the fun.