ASHI School

So, how do guys that candy coat everything or sweep stuff under the rug 1. weather the complaint and 2. keep getting the referrals?

I think it's because the public doesn't have a clue about what a home inspection is supposed to be all about. They think we're some sort of service the REA's offer as a courtesy. (We use, We recommend, This one's the best). They only know what they're told by the person they trust to help guide them through unfamilar territory.

2. The less trouble an inspector creates for someone who depends on a percentage of a commission of a sale for their livelyhood, the more likely they'll steer someone toward that inspector. Can ya blame them? What would you do after chasing sombody's picky ass around hells half acre for six months in search of the "perfect home". Would you want a guy who actually does his job, submits an honest assesment of a property interfering and have to take a chance on the HI's findings bringing you back to square one when there's a Beamer payment due?

As far as complaints go, who cares? No skin off of anyone's nose but the HI's. There's another hungry one finishing school this week.

Being better and working harder means nothing. It really is just the way it is, huh? Maybe even more so in a small town. Now, back to my windmills. I'll kill one, one of these days.

I know one like that. His answer is simple. Put 10% of gross aside to cover complaints.

I'm sure you're right, but it sounds like an awful way to spend the days.

And nights.

When the $hit hits the fan I have to deal with it now. I can't even think about kicking back unitl the problem has gone away. Oy - what a way to go through life.

I know one like that. His answer is simple. Put 10% of gross aside to cover complaints.

It's a brilliant idea and it's the way things get done these days. Here's a check. Go away. It's cheaper than going to court.

It's a brilliant idea and it's the way things get done these days. Here's a check. Go away. It's cheaper than going to court.

Hell on the reputation though...

And nights.

When the $hit hits the fan I have to deal with it now. I can't even think about kicking back until the problem has gone away. Oy - what a way to go through life.

Exactly... An unhappy camper out there just gnaws at me.. When it happens, I'm in the car and on the way within minutes. And, usually, it's some minor thing that's been blown completely out of proportion by another one of those subcontractors, friends or family members that was on a mission to feel good about them self by making you feel bad about yourself.

As one of my old HI colleagues once said, "May ALL your problems be this 'major'." [:-graduat [:-party]

A brilliant idea?

It is precisely this type of "me, me and me" thinking that is helping tank our nation. There is nothing brilliant about this notion - only the naked barbaric truth about raping anything one can to get ahead.

Sure I'm incompetent - how much do I need to pay you to get you off my back?

Honest, competent mechanics are a lot easier to find than their counterpart in the home inspection field.

The consumer judges the mechanic. The judgement of HI's is predominately done by agents.

That might be the way it is in your world but that's not the way it is in mine.
The mechanic who doesn't meet the stiff expectations of the consumer quickly goes out of business.
Well, since almost all of my work comes directly from the consumer, that's apply to me if I didn't continue to provide the level of service that netted me all of those customer referrals in the first place.
Agents want an HI that doesn't break the sale, either deliberately or via incompetence
Not all are like that, the 5% of my business that comes from agent referrals are very professional. If the sale goes bottom-up they accept it and tell me they'll see me on the next one.
so the incompetent inspector that worships agents generally leads the profession in sales.
that might have once been the case, but I don't think it's going to be the case much longer,...at least around here. Guess we'll have to see.

ONE TEAM - ONE FIGHT!!!

Mike

Marc