Dropping from ASHI?

Hi all, been with ASHI since I started in '02. Have been kicking around not renewing since my state now has registration, and I very rarely get any leads from the affiliation.

Anyone have pros or cons to dropping and not having an association affiliation? Obviously saving $399 is a pro. Just looking for other input. Thanks, Kevin

In spite of my negative feelings about egomaniacs in the upper echelon, I still see ASHI as a respectable certification and do, often enough, book inspections thanks to the ASHI web site. I suppose ASHI's a bit like Animal Farm, you just have to recognize it and follow your own business and professional heart.

In spite of my negative feelings about egomaniacs in the upper echelon, I still see ASHI as a respectable certification and do, often enough, book inspections thanks to the ASHI web site. I suppose ASHI's a bit like Animal Farm, you just have to recognize it and follow your own business and professional heart.

Well said. Personally, I bled ASHI red for 15 years or so, but since I left a few years back, I've never looked back.

I've been a member since 1987. I've been disappointed several times with some decisions made by national leadership. I've remained a member mostly because of the value of my local chapter.

The most recent decisions and actions of national however, has me seriously questioning the direction ASHI is heading. I used to think ASHI was devoted to integrity in the profession. The most recent action (See: https://inspectorsjournal.com/forum/top ... C_ID=12377) has me considering not renewing.

If one drops out and then decides 2 years down they road to join again what happens? Meaning do you just pickup where you left off - like keeping your original number? You don't have to jump through all the hoops again do you?

I can't imagine they'd make you re-test, but they probably couldn't and wouldn't state "member in good standing since". - that's lost. So, you'd look a bit green.

Yeah, still on the fence with it. Certainly the referrals I have received from the affiliation no where near recoups what I've spent in dues. Also, this is out the only HI discussion board I use so I don't use that feature over there either.

Anyone that has no HI association affiliation at all, and any negative impact you'd care to share?

I've been a member since 1987. I've been disappointed several times with some decisions made by national leadership. I've remained a member mostly because of the value of my local chapter.

The most recent decisions and actions of national however, has me seriously questioning the direction ASHI is heading. I used to think ASHI was devoted to integrity in the profession. The most recent action (See: https://inspectorsjournal.com/forum/top ... C_ID=12377) has me considering not renewing.

Yeah, I'd been following that thread, which kind of renewed my interest in dropping. Thanks again. Kevin

Yeah, still on the fence with it. Certainly the referrals I have received from the affiliation no where near recoups what I've spent in dues. Also, this is out the only HI discussion board I use so I don't use that feature over there either.

Anyone that has no HI association affiliation at all, and any negative impact you'd care to share?

Really? Think about it, brother... One to two inspections pays the fee for the year.

As I've already mentioned, I'm NOT a huge fan of the national associations for "human and spirit friendly" reasons. During my years as a traveling vendor, I quickly deduced that there are a lot of self-inflated jack-asses at the top of any national association that are just thrilled to spout pure poison in your direction if you give them half a chance.

But, that being said, take your emotional hat off and put on your marketing hat. Let's see... you do two inspections essentially for free, and enjoy your spot on (and connection to) probably the biggest qualified national billboard related to your profession on the internet. That's an opportunity that's tough to beat.

I simply pay my dues, and keep my head in the proverbial sand. (I don't know. I'd like to think that the ASHI Pros outweigh the Cons and that I'm not missing the call to chivalry. Does this make me a business whore? Lol. It's all so dang complicated anymore...)

Does this make me a business whore?

Hey, there's never a question........all I do is haggle price.......

I think ASHI needs us more than we need them, honestly.

Even if I miss a couple referrals from their site, I don't care. This latest mess pushed me over the edge.

None.

And, I'm certain that, like you, Jim, as soon as I severed ties, I'd look back and realize that it didn't hurt a bit. Most of our apprehensions are illegitimate fig newtons (yeah I know - figments) of our own imaginations. I could use a nice cruise... Ya'll might just reform me...

Never joined any association, too much chest thumping, but if a new association were to be formed up among the TIJ membership, I'd jump at a chance to belong.

Marc

I thought the same thing myself last night: "No, but I AM a certified member of TIJ."

You know, Mike O, it would take at least few years before our newly formed association reached Animal Farm stage... Lol...

PS. That's a great way to put it Marc. There are a lot of loose Silverbacks in a national association...

Even if I miss a couple referrals from their site, I don't care. This latest mess pushed me over the edge.

Haven't been to the ASHI forums in quite some time. How's the fireworks over there?

Haven't been to the ASHI forums in quite some time. How's the fireworks over there?

Everything's cool on the advice end; there's some smart folks.

Then, there's me ranting and raving and directly insulting pretty much everything and most everyone over there in some form or another.

If you were new to ASHI, you'd be certain I was Mitchell Captain from the old days or Joe Berserk-uson fuming @ all authority.

Boy, I haven't put a toe in that shark tank in years...

Hi all, been with ASHI since I started in '02. Have been kicking around not renewing since my state now has registration, and I very rarely get any leads from the affiliation.

Anyone have pros or cons to dropping and not having an association affiliation? Obviously saving $399 is a pro. Just looking for other input. Thanks, Kevin

There are a lot of reasons to be a member of ASHI. Getting referrals from them isn't a very good one. If that's the only reason you're a member, then quit.

- Jim Katen, Oregon

There are a lot of reasons to be a member of ASHI. Getting referrals from them isn't a very good one. If that's the only reason you're a member, then quit.

- Jim Katen, Oregon

Very good Jim. I've always considered ASHI the thinking mans organization.

I am however considering the $ to $ net worth. If I'm spending hard earned money (and time) what am I getting in return. I don't feel the need to go to monthly meetings and pontificate. That is their Red Bull, not mine.

This forum, a select think tank, is really all I need.