Dropping from ASHI?

So, nothing happens overnight, but if he can budge the rock in a favorable direction even a little bit, he'll have my continued support and respect.

I appreciate you kind words Kurt. Concerning "the rock", Sir Newton knew what he was talking about when he described the laws of motion. A body in motion will continue in the same direction unless acted upon by an external force. But even a small force applied over a long period of time can eventually effect a significant change.

[A body in motion will continue in the same direction unless acted upon by an external force. But even a small force applied over a long period of time can eventually effect a significant change.

Hummm,

I don't know about that. Kurt, in his uncanny way, was applying a small amount of force for years; yet last year many on the upper throne (including our your past president) more or less told him to pound salt.

That's one of several reasons I chose not to re-up.

That's partly due to me getting a little more abrasive and loutish each year, until it got to where I was basically telling them they were all morons and incompetents on an hourly basis.

Actually, it's mostly due to my being abrasive and loutish and telling them they're morons. Incompetent is too nice.

Bill, OTOH, has a few decades of working in tight bureaucratic environments and is sensitive and equitable in ways that I just can't be.

Tried, can't. It ain't me.

My frustration (and resulting abrasiveness) is due to my having stood there for years, pointing out what's wrong and how it could be corrected, being completely ignored, and having my predictions for what was wrong all playing out to be spot on. Folks in charge hate it when they're wrong, so they have to blame someone.

The ship of state was forged in the wrong model to accommodate the many weird things that are unique about our profession. Folks that still hold big sway in the organization were responsible for this model, and they don't like their legacy being sullied. And, the governance stuff has gotten so byzantine, I don't think it can be changed in the ways it should be.

And, there are many folks whose business model demands their having access and influence at the upper levels of the society, i.e., the ASHI School Dynamic Duo. They like it that it's all confused. It's good for business.

Bill can deal with that stuff in effective ways.

Me? I just wanna slap folks at this point in the game.

[A body in motion will continue in the same direction unless acted upon by an external force. But even a small force applied over a long period of time can eventually effect a significant change.

Hummm,

I don't know about that. Kurt, in his uncanny way, was applying a small amount of force for years; yet last year many on the upper throne (including our your past president) more or less told him to pound salt.

That's one of several reasons I chose not to re-up.

Last year the ASHI leaderhip that you say told Kurt to "pound salt" set their major goal as changing the way ASHI elected its leaders. While Kurt and many others recognized that things needed to be improved, many also recognized that the proposed changes were not what was needed.

For speaking out, many were not treated kindly and yes, some were told to "pound salt." But we're big boys and we've learned that when you compete in the arena of ideas, politeness sometimes takes a back seat to passion. But look at the result. The proposed changes were defeated, not once but twice.

In the end an entirely different group actually ended up pounding salt.

One of my favorite movies is "It's a Wonderful Life" the Christmas classic. Yes its a little sappy but George Bailey had a chance to see how he affected the world around him. Though he started out with big plans, he didn't do anything big or heroic, he just showed up every day and did the right and honorable thing. At times he sacrificed for others as he worked to help his family, friends, neighbors and community. He nudged the rock.

As home inspectors we too do incredible things. Not every inspection is life or death but do you think that just maybe something that might have caused a house fire or a crippling accident might have been prevented because of your work? Maybe a couple walked away from a poor purchase decision and were prevented from going bankrupt with a money pit that would have swallowed them.

For good or bad, we all nudge the rock a little every day.

So, those who have left ASHI come on back. Those who are thinking of joining us, I do believe there are positive things in the work. The only thing I can promise is that the law of motion is real and that we all make a difference.

In the end an entirely different group actually ended up pounding salt.

Yes, it was an enjoyable moment. I get all warm and tingly just thinking about it.

The only thing I can promise is that the law of motion is real and that we all make a difference.

If the scuttlebutt I've now heard twice from two very reliable sources has any truth in it, the rock is moving a little bit more right now.

So, I have a little more faith in the law of motion.

If the scuttlebutt I've now heard twice from two very reliable sources has any truth in it, the rock is moving a little bit more right now.

So, I have a little more faith in the law of motion.

Oh, the suspense is killing me! Do we have to wait at ASHI speed (hear it first on the monthly rag) or will a spokesman from the board dare to use the forum to get out the news?

........must be some movement because I got an email that ASHI School is now owned by ASHI Education, Jeff Arnold CEO. Barton is the Director. Wonder how much we paid for it?

Kurt do you know who else is in charge?

Les,

The financials are confidential so any numbers you hear will only be speculation. Bigger than a bread box, smaller than an aircraft carrier...?

As far as who is in charge; there is a Board, CEO and Director. You named the CEO and Director.

This is out of the current line of the thread, but I dropped ASHI last fall in an effort to save money and stay in the game. At one time I was getting enough referrals in a year's time to justify the cost, plus I felt it was important to support the legislative and higher standard efforts of the organization. When money got tight I just couldn't see $400. Dropping that and my Alabama license saved me over $1000.

This is strickly a view from the outside, since I never held an ASHI office, but it appears ASHI spends a tremendous amount of money on plane tickets and pricey hotel rooms for staff and elected officials to attend meetings and such. I always wondered if a certain amount of that couldn't be done by conference calls, Go-To-Meeting, or something.

*Full Disclosure*

I personally benefitted from that largess a couple of times, when I was generously allowed to share a paid-for room at national conferences.

Brian G.

No Matter What Jimmy & Scott Say, We Did NOT "Trade It Out" [;)]

This is out of the current line of the thread, but I dropped ASHI last fall in an effort to save money and stay in the game. At one time I was getting enough referrals in a year's time to justify the cost, plus I felt it was important to support the legislative and higher standard efforts of the organization. When money got tight I just couldn't see $400. Dropping that and my Alabama license saved me over $1000.

This is strickly a view from the outside, since I never held an ASHI office, but it appears ASHI spends a tremendous amount of money on plane tickets and pricey hotel rooms for staff and elected officials to attend meetings and such. I always wondered if a certain amount of that couldn't be done by conference calls, Go-To-Meeting, or something.

*Full Disclosure*

I personally benefitted from that largess a couple of times, when I was generously allowed to share a paid-for room at national conferences.

Brian G.

Brian,

I have missed your input and always unique tag lines. Hope you come back and visit often between shifts at the salt mine.

Steve

Brian G.

I figured you paid for it.

What you mentioned is one of the elements of (misguided) organizational modeling for our little society. Folks outside Chicago never got to see the full wackiness of when The One was in charge; it was beyond idiotic.

The members would fly in, get schmoozed by the Sultan of Smarm, and think everything was wonderful. They'd leave, and then it was back to insanity. He did not, by any account, leave the organization in good condition, nor was his much lauded (at the time) financial management satisfactory. Lottsa bones got discovered after he left.

He set the society on an organizational path that continues to this day. It's a model based on conditions that don't exist in our teensy tiny little society, and that we don't necessarily want. It's a model that benefits the ED and the business of the business of the society (no, that's not a redundancy), not the profession as it is.

So, I think you're right. It's an entirely goofy model, wasteful, and does not include accommodations for all the weird little things that exist in our profession.

It's the model you'd use if you were setting up the Society for Orthopedic Surgeons, or some similar gigantic wealthy bunch of practitioners.

. . . it appears ASHI spends a tremendous amount of money on plane tickets and pricey hotel rooms for staff and elected officials to attend meetings and such. I always wondered if a certain amount of that couldn't be done by conference calls, Go-To-Meeting, or something. . . .

Yes, they tried that. The online meetings ended up being completely consumed by the participants' lack of ability to work the fancy computer thingies.

Yes, I remember........

Something so simple as Skype would correct any and all of it. I routinely video conference with multiple people in China for free.

For the cost of (less than) one plane ride, it could all be set up. But then, folks would have to learn how to use it, which would mean owning computers, going online, answering the phone, you know, that sort of advanced learning curve stuff.

And, you have to remember, that simplicity works against our organizational model. It'd mean communication was not all routed through controlled networks; it'd mean folks could talk amongst themselves.

As we know from the reigns of Tamny and those before him, nothing enrages those blokes more than folks talking amongst themselves.

Yes, I remember........

Something so simple as Skype would correct any and all of it. I routinely video conference with multiple people in China for free.

For the cost of (less than) one plane ride, it could all be set up. But then, folks would have to learn how to use it, which would mean owning computers, going online, answering the phone, you know, that sort of advanced learning curve stuff.

And, you have to remember, that simplicity works against our organizational model. It'd mean communication was not all routed through controlled networks; it'd mean folks could talk amongst themselves.

As we know from the reigns of Tamny and those before him, nothing enrages those blokes more than folks talking amongst themselves.

Actual transcript from one of the online meetings:

Participant: No one can hear me when I talk.

Moderator: Is your microphone plugged into the right jack?

Participant: What microphone?

Oh,

I get it. That's what he was typing in the chat box next to the on-screen graphics during the meeting. No?

Hope so, 'cuz if that is a voice transcript the moderator was as dumb as he was.

ONE TEAM - ONE FIGHT!!!

Mike

Yes, you get it.

"I can't hear anyone."

"I can't talk."

"I can only hear some people."

"I can't tell who's saying what."

And the most common comment:

"sooe tntohdicmcnt tell thsinxn."

Les and I have been involved in some long and drawn-out teleconferences with about a dozen folks at a time over the past few years. If Les and I can figure out how to do the computer conference thingy, anyone can.

ONE TEAM - ONE FIGHT!!!

Mike

I've become a complete Skype proselytizer. It's easy, cheap, and free! I routinely make calls to the other side of the world for FREE!

I spent the money (I think it was $10) to get the conference call option. It's amazingly cool. It's having your own video chatroom, cheap and easy.

For domestic calls, I use it for calling friends. It's a penny a minute for regular phone calls, and I'm not sure why, but some of the time isn't even charged. Try getting that rate on any of our normal phone providers.

Now that I think about it, we should set up a TIJ Skype conference room. We could do face time for FREE.

Hi Kurt,

I haven't played with Skype in about five years. Is Skype still audio only or do they have a video feed now. When you say conference call option does it display the way that Go-to-Meeting does with a white board to present documents on and a chat board off to one side along with a list of the folks participating? If video, can it display more than one caller at a time?

On a similar note; has anyone played with the google app Vyew.com yet. It's free and apparently one can conference up to 10 folks for free before additional costs start kicking in.

ONE TEAM - ONE FIGHT!!!

Mike

It's a video feed in real time. I video talk to folks in China almost every night. Sometimes the signal craps out, but that's not Skype; that's the internet.

You can have typed "chat" while your talking, it can accommodate multiple folks in the same video feed, etc. Not sure about Go-to-Meeting; I can attach documents to Skype just like you do with an email. I'd have to look into display options for documents; I'm still a noob.

The old Skype versions were mildly clunky, but I've been using the new one for about 6 months, and it's amazingly cool. If have web access, it's free phone service. If you go for the multiple player video option, it's a few bucks.

I'm going to check out the Google thing; it may even be better.

On the same note.......

If you have an iPhone, we could do Facetime. It's a video call on the phone. Facetime is really cool too.

GTM is a PITA. I had to install it for the 203k webinar a few weeks ago. It took 4 attempts to get it loaded on my brand new windows 7 machine, then it took several more tries to get the meeting to display, and even then it was still glitchy. Good thing it was scheduled for two hours, if it were set up for the 45 minutes it took I wouldn't have seen any of the powerpoint.

We had a different experience with it Tom. We've beem very happy with GoToMeeting, and use it for collaborative work. In a conference call, we can all look at the same computer screen, and shift between different participants' screens. Very handy for group projects. We do have the "pay" version - cost $348 annually.

Douglas Hansen