Dropping from ASHI?

I have been a member since 2005, consistently I receive more revenue in inspections from their Find an Inspector site to pay the yearly dues three-four times the cost of membership.

Guess location may mean something, most Realtors recommend ASHI inspectors to clients in AZ.

If I didn't receive the inspections I would drop membership.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I'm a little late on this thread but find the discussion very interesting. I'll disclose up front that I'm an ASHI guy. I was on the board of directors a few years ago and because I was concerned about the direction of ASHI I decided to get involved again in 2010.

With a lot of help from a few members of TIJ and other concerned ASHI members around the country we mounted a petition candidacy and I was elected Secretary.

I'm pretty much with Jim Katen on his reasons for remaining with ASHI. Of all the organizations in this profession, I believe that ASHI holds the most promise and I want to try and do what I can to make it a place that professionals can call home.

For those of you who are considering walking away I hope you will stick around. For those of you who have left, I would love to see you come back. ASHI can be influenced by good people with integrity. I see a lot of that exhibited in this thread.

I'm a little late on this thread but find the discussion very interesting. I'll disclose up front that I'm an ASHI guy. I was on the board of directors a few years ago and because I was concerned about the direction of ASHI I decided to get involved again in 2010.

With a lot of help from a few members of TIJ and other concerned ASHI members around the country we mounted a petition candidacy and I was elected Secretary.

I'm pretty much with Jim Katen on his reasons for remaining with ASHI. Of all the organizations in this profession, I believe that ASHI holds the most promise and I want to try and do what I can to make it a place that professionals can call home.

For those of you who are considering walking away I hope you will stick around. For those of you who have left, I would love to see you come back. ASHI can be influenced by good people with integrity. I see a lot of that exhibited in this thread.

It'd be nice if you could regularly touch base with the membership on this forum by posting. 'Reciprocal participation' I guess you could call it.

Marc

I intend to stay in touch.

How is everything in Lafayette? I spent several years in Lafayette back in the 80's working offshore drilling. Lafayette was a great place. I loved the Cajun culture. Seemed like there was a festival of some kind every week.

Mardi-Gras in full swing now. Missus & I took a walk in our subdivision last night and saw license plates from MA, TX, CA and others. Lafayette expecting sales from Mardi Gras to hit 110 Mil this year. That's $500 for every man, woman & child that lives in Lafayette..and all I get is some crappy beads! [;)]

Marc

I was one of the founding members of Garden State ASHI. Many of us left and started NJALPHI when it seemed that ASHI national was more interested in buying buildings, "Branding", and allowing a select few people to hijack an organization that I was originally very proud to be a part of.

That being said, I applaud you and your efforts to get involved and I hope that you are successful in bringing ASHI back to where it used to be.

I am sure I am not alone in my position that if the leaders work to lower the dues and spend the members' money more carefully on things like education, benefits (i.e. group insurance plan?), and other things that most of us actually want, you will have a good chance of getting us back into the fold.

I wish you all of the best.

Bill is the primary reason I reupped in ASHI last year. I wanted to vote for him, and he is the first person in a very long time whose views on society management priorities I agree with. His business model is admirable, and I would feel very good if I could emulate it in any way.

Personally, I am honored that he has come over to TIJ as a participant.

So, nothing happens overnight, but if he can budge the rock in a favorable direction even a little bit, he'll have my continued support and respect.

I intend to stay in touch.

How is everything in Lafayette? I spent several years in Lafayette back in the 80's working offshore drilling. Lafayette was a great place. I loved the Cajun culture. Seemed like there was a festival of some kind every week.

Mardi-Gras in full swing now. Missus & I took a walk in our subdivision last night and saw license plates from MA, TX, CA and others. Lafayette expecting sales from Mardi Gras to hit 110 Mil this year. That's $500 for every man, woman & child that lives in Lafayette..and all I get is some crappy beads! [;)]

Marc

I was in Lafayette for three years and was offshore for the big Mardi Gras events every year.

I did get to go to Caesar's Ball in New Orleans in 2008. Wow, what a party.

I am sure I am not alone in my position that if the leaders work to lower the dues and spend the members' money more carefully on things like education, benefits (i.e. group insurance plan?), and other things that most of us actually want, you will have a good chance of getting us back into the fold.

You do realize that associations like ASHI can not provide "group" insurance until our leaders in Washington DC allow it to happen by changing the laws......

Why not? How is a professional association any different than a chamber of commerce?

At the risk of getting too political; we don't need any more reform, the system can be fixed with our existing usury and racketeering laws. I spend more on health insurance than I do on my mortgages.

It boils down to having members in more than one state. A Chamber of Commerce is located in a single State and most likely in a single city or town. Same reason you can not shop health insurance across state lines.

Group insurance is not all that great unless it is paid for by your employer!.... My son and I were on my wife's group coverage through her company. It was great untill about two years ago and then the rates went out the roof with BCBS. Her company had a few heart attacks, a kidney transplant, a couple of cases of cancer, a case of ALS and a case of MS along with a few diabetics and many in their late 50's and 60's working for the company. So everyone else had to pay for those that were in poor health or had other issues.

By my son and I going onto our own private policy we saved around $300 a month. Granted we have a higher deductible and pay more for Rx and doctor visits but it saved us a good amount of money.

I never even thought about the the Associations being national, that explains it.

I get what you mean about the group plans though. I spend more every month on health insurance than I do on my mortgages, and with the deductible I'm gonna pay for about 1/3 of my wife's C section out of pocket. My mother is a QA Nurse for BCBS and has the same basic plan I do, just a smaller deductible. There is a reason all their plan numbers start with POS.

You do realize that associations like ASHI can not provide "group" insurance until our leaders in Washington DC allow it to happen by changing the laws......

Scott,

I know that a home inspection organization cannot directly provide the insurance. I was thinking about it the other way around:

If a group of professional Home Inspectors can show that there is a lower risk to the insurance companies because of their better qualifcatrions than the average inspector, this would make the group more attractive to them and could hopfefully translate into discounts for the members. The leadership could solicite competitive bids for coverage. This could apply to E&O, Business Liability, Disability, and possible other types of insurance.

I would also suggest soliciting for ASHI member discounts for things like office supplies, computers, etc..

FYI- The AIA has lots of these type of benefits available to members. I know that it is permitted by the government. I can even get an AIA Mastercard!

Regards,

Steve

Scott,

I know that a home inspection organization cannot directly provide the insurance. I was thinking about it the other way around:

If a group of professional Home Inspectors can show that there is a lower risk to the insurance companies because of their better qualifcatrions than the average inspector, this would make the group more attractive to them and could hopfefully translate into discounts for the members. The leadership could solicite competitive bids for coverage. This could apply to E&O, Business Liability, Disability, and possible other types of insurance.

I would also suggest soliciting for ASHI member discounts for things like office supplies, computers, etc..

FYI- The AIA has lots of these type of benefits available to members. I know that it is permitted by the government. I can even get an AIA Mastercard!

Regards,

Steve

ASHI has had discount offers like you are speaking of over the years. Some were seldom used and they went by the wayside. Right now they have a deal with Business Risk Partners on E&O coverage, its not much but is better than nothing. I think the BRP discount is 10% off their normal rates.

Over the years they have had deals with FedEx, UPS, Office Max, Hertz, AVIS and a few others but that is all I recall. They don't cost ASHI or anyone anything but if the members do not use them the companies drop the program after a year or two.

ASHI's "deals" aren't so hot. I recently reupped on my JLC subscription for about $20 less a year than ASHI's offer. Same thing on the cell phones.

It's nice they try, but there's no deals through ASHI.

I do my insurance through BRP........not because it's a deal, but because I've been with then since '89.

Scott,

Regards,

Steve

Well, that AIA contract is DEFINITELY a benefit: "I drew it, but I'm not responsible for any of it." [:-snorkel (I'm kidding, Steve, but you know what I mean - it sure was amazing how so much responsibility gets passed all the way down the line to the lowly sub. We, as a masonry sub-contractor, used to scratch out a ton of that contract, and add our own addendum that superseded some of it. Sometimes it cost us the job, but that was OK. It's a darn good thing that most sub-contractors are illiterate.) [:D]

Good for you on the MasterCard! [:-thumbu] Credit is the last remaining form of legalized slavery. [:-tophat]

OK, that was thread drift, Pardon'

Here in Virginia, since state licensing is voluntary, ASHI remains the Champion certification. So, I'll probably be an ASHI member forever. The state certification was a buzz for a while, but it's really died off. Most people ask if you're ASHI certified, and saying, "Yes." is the answer they're looking for.