Needing to update equipment.

Robert Jones

I am going to have to replace my knee pads and gloves that I use for crawl space inspections, anyone having good success with a specific brand of knee pad/gloves?

I use a new pair of nitrile gloves each time.

Never needed or used knee pads. Most of the time I'm sliding around on my belly or scooting along on my Krawler - no need for kneepads either way.

I use wool fingerless military sharp-shooter gloves (surplus). I like still having my fingertips free for camera work, etc. I usually go try on a bunch of knee pads and go with a pair that feels like they'll stay in place - usually with a thigh and calf strap. The ones that surround your knee and head down you shin seem to stay in place best. I don't fool around regarding a respirator. If it can be filtered, I'm filtering. [:-snorkel

Thanks guys. Jim have you not caught a rock or nail on your kneecap in the crawl? The majority of the crawls I inspect are hands and knee's(fortunately). I do have the occassional one where it is a belly crawl, but most have enough height that I can hand and knee it. Is the Krawler worth it or more a pain in the butt most of the time? I am 5'11".

Thanks guys. Jim have you not caught a rock or nail on your kneecap in the crawl?

Maybe once or twice, but that's about it. I don't spend a lot of time on my hands & knees down there. I did once come out of the crawlspace with a sharp pan in my shoulderblade. The customer shouted, "Oh my God!" and pulled a 10d nail out of it. Once the bleeding stopped, it was fine.

The majority of the crawls I inspect are hands and knee's(fortunately). I do have the occassional one where it is a belly crawl, but most have enough height that I can hand and knee it. Is the Krawler worth it or more a pain in the butt most of the time? I am 5'11".

It seems like I either get the belly crawls or the crawlspaces with 14' of clearance. Very few hands & kneesers.

The krawler is definitely worth it for low crawlspaces. If most of what you do is hands & knees, don't bother. It's easier & faster to go on your hands & knees than to use the Krawler.

- Jim Katen, Oregon

I use thick insulated leather gloves (winter gloves) for the crawl space. Easier on my hands and knuckles (yeah, I'm a knuckle dragger). But there's a lot of crap and sharp stuff in the crawl spaces around here. Haven't cut myself since I started using them.

IS YOUR TETANUS SHOT UP TO DATE! Mine wasn't. It is now!!