Frost-free bibs

hausdok

Before I start googling it, I guess I'll ask here; does anyone know why water should be pouring out of the vacuum breaker cap on a frost-free bib when a hose is connected and it's turned on? I'm guessing that something is jammed inside but I've never run into this before. Anyone ever run into this?

ONE TEAM - ONE FIGHT!!!

Mike

I see that problem fairly often. Those devices don't seem to last very long. The disc get jammed or blocked by debris, as you suggested and doesn't extend all the way out where it blocks the vent holes.

You're not short on water pressure, are you?

Marc

Before I start googling it, I guess I'll ask here; does anyone know why water should be pouring out of the vacuum breaker cap on a frost-free bib when a hose is connected and it's turned on? I'm guessing that something is jammed inside but I've never run into this before. Anyone ever run into this?

Spiders. Especially this time of year.

- Jim Katen, Oregon

Isn't it actually MORE than simply a frost-free feature? I thought they were equally, if not more, in place as an anti-backflow preventor to prevent water being pulled back into the domestic water or city system. Or, are those two different beasts? If they are different, anyone have pictures showing the difference?

Isn't it actually MORE than simply a frost-free feature? I thought they were equally, if not more, in place as an anti-backflow preventor to prevent water being pulled back into the domestic water or city system. Or, are those two different beasts? If they are different, anyone have pictures showing the difference?

Two different beasts.

Vacuum break device for hose bibs:

Click to Enlarge
tn_201081510539_hosebibb-vacuumbreaker-polishedbrass.jpg

13.09 KB

Freeze proof hose bib:

Click to Enlarge
tn_2010815105411_hosebibb-freeze-proof-mipsxsweatxmht.jpg

13.77 KB

Marc

On my home I have combo frost free and vacuum breaker bibs.

I have noticed that when I try to test the water pressure from a bib and it has a vacuum breaker device or bib on it that the water sprays out the attached vacuum breaker or the top of the bib. Am I alone with this or have others had the same problem?

I have noticed that when I try to test the water pressure from a bib and it has a vacuum breaker device or bib on it that the water sprays out the attached vacuum breaker or the top of the bib. Am I alone with this or have others had the same problem?

I see that sometimes but have always assumed that it meant a defective vacuum break device.

Marc

I see that sometimes but have always assumed that it meant a defective vacuum break device.

Marc

That might be and it is what I have always thought, but I bet it happens on almost every home I try to test the water pressure on.

Two different beasts.

Click to Enlarge

13.09 KB

Freeze proof hose bib:

Click to Enlarge

13.77 KB

Marc

Thanks Marc! Now that you show a photograph of each, I have seen them both. I must admit, though, that I thought they were merely different versions of the same thing. I did not realize that one was freeze proof only. [:-graduat

Two different beasts.

Click to Enlarge

13.09 KB

Freeze proof hose bib:

Click to Enlarge

13.77 KB

Marc

Thanks Marc! Now that you show a photograph of each, I have seen them both. I must admit, though, that I thought they were merely different versions of the same thing. I did not realize that one was freeze proof only. [:-graduat

No, it's not freeze proof only. That frost free hose bib has a vacuum breaker built into it:

Click to Enlarge
tn_201081601520_vacbreak.jpg

10.22 KB

The brass colored device is to retrofit an existing hose bib with back flow prevention. A nearby township requires they be installed on non vac-breaker equipped bibs before they'll issue a Certificate of Occupancy.

On thing I've noticed with the screw-on type is that they very often don't allow a frost free bib to drain. You need to push the little plastic piece inside the outlet to the side for the water to drain out. I demonstrate this to the buyer, but it's unlikely they remember it when it's needed.

The anti-siphon hose bibs are required in many jurisdicitions around the Phoenix area on all newly constructed homes since 2005. They are famous for leaking after a short time and most home owners end up taking them off within a few months.

It is so common to have them missing that it is an automatic statement in my reports to warn people of the dangers associated of not having them in place.

As far as the frost free devices go, they are unheard of around the Phoenix Metro area. Imagine that !!!!