Phantom Generator - Only the shadow knows...

mgbinspect

After seeing the high-rez photo (thank you Michael), I sure don’t see a bonding jumper. There also should have been a grounding locknut on the service entrance conductor conduit fitting.

There is a bare grounding conductor from the transfer switch to the panel. It is connected to a single lug at the bottom of the panel. There should have been an equipment ground bar in that location, as shown in Generac’s diagrams. It needs to have empty terminals to receive the grounding conductors of the generator feed and the control circuit.

When all is said and done, I’ll bet you find out the electrical contractor is someone who does very high quality work, and that he had never installed a transfer switch before this one.

Douglas Hansen

After seeing the high-rez photo (thank you Michael), I sure don’t see a bonding jumper. There also should have been a grounding locknut on the service entrance conductor conduit fitting.

There is a bare grounding conductor from the transfer switch to the panel. It is connected to a single lug at the bottom of the panel. There should have been an equipment ground bar in that location, as shown in Generac’s diagrams. It needs to have empty terminals to receive the grounding conductors of the generator feed and the control circuit.

When all is said and done, I’ll bet you find out the electrical contractor is someone who does very high quality work, and that he had never installed a transfer switch before this one.

Douglas Hansen

Thanks Douglas!

You've brought a lot of things to light that I would have never figured out. That's the true beauty of the TIJ brain-trust. I hope I can return the favor someday somehow.

Mike

PS. If anyone would like the high resolution photo sent to them so they can zoom in and follow along with Doug's assessment, shoot me your e-mail and I'm happy to send it on.