Keeping Yourself Occupied When Times Are Slow

Things have been slowing, but the phone was really quiet this past week here in Maryland. I got more calls from people wanted me to advertise through them than clients. I know, last weeks of summer, schools starting up, just hoping it picks up so everyone has a good fall season.

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Things have been slowing, but the phone was really quiet this past week here in Maryland. I got more calls from people wanted me to advertise through them than clients. I know, last weeks of summer, schools starting up, just hoping it picks up so everyone has a good fall season.

Same for me last week. School started back two weeks ago

I began to panic a bit about a three or four weeks ago, but do remember that it's rough every year around this time because everyone's trying to cram in a vacation before school starts back. That fact along with the economy does make things worse than normal, but I remain busy enough and still optimistic that things will continue to limp along.

You're not alone. Really Really slow and nothing lined up for next week.

For the last few weeks, I begin each week looking at my schedule wondering how I'm going to make it. By the end of the week I look back and see that I got through it.

And, if it's any consolation, I have six already for next week - low for me, but higher than rhe recent average.

And, some of the Realtors that I know and respect also say things are picking up.

Late July, August and early September are always rocky. Don't freak out.

August Vacations, Back to School, Slow Market...etc.

Slow business at this time is more the norm. There is some comfort in knowing it is not unique to my business. Unfortunately, the bills don't slow down in relation to when business slows down.[:-crazy][:-weepn]

In the longer term, we are looking at colleges for my older son ( he is going into his senior year in high school). I hope business picks-up for next year, he gets some scholarships, or we are screwed![:-yuck].

In the longer term, we are looking at colleges for my older son ( he is going into his senior year in high school). I hope business picks-up for next year, he gets some scholarships, or we are screwed![:-yuck].

Being the father of five kids and the dad to two step-kids, I always knew there was no way I could put them all through college. I told them endlessly to "think scholarships (get outstanding grades) or military (GI Bill). Thankfully, they all listened.

Unless something changes 'tween now and EOM on Tuesday ... I'll finish August with 14 inspections and that is only down 6 from my normal 20/month.

Some weeks/days have been really quiet, slow, but ... again ... as noted above: Looking back at the week gives a different perspective than the beginning and I certainly cannot predict each/every week.

One day at a time and thankful for each and every one.

I just came across one of my competitors advertisements.

http://extraordinairebuildinginspectors ... scount.pdf

What's a "GERNERATED" report?

Mark, do you really believe that's a "competitor"? Besides the $100 desperation, the rest of their website is amazing...as in amazingly bad. 10 pages, and it's only on the final contact page that you would know what state they are in. I'm surprised you found that. They are probably getting more hits today, from here, than they have all year.

I just came across one of my competitors advertisements.

http://extraordinairebuildinginspectors ... scount.pdf

WOW! Unbelievable. There are a few inspectors here pulling that crap with a $250.00 deal.

I've pretty much held the line on my prices. (Well, I did drop prices by $25.00 across the board and am already questioning the decision, since I have eight for the week and it's only Monday. I find it hard to believe that $25.00 had anything to do with that.)

Fortunately, even Realtors here don't shop inspection fees unless made to by their buyers. Agents want ALL the bad crap on the table now so they can, get it behind them and on to closing. They definitely don't like the stress and embarrassment of learning later about missed stuff. That attitude has helped most of the old guard inspectors here maintain their prices.

My hunch is that what we are experiencing now, is what we can expect for years to come - not much worse or better - bumpy. I don't believe we will ever again in our lifetime see a sizzling market like we've come out of.

That being said, since we can't control things much on the revenue side, the best thing to do is reduce the cost to live all that we can. I've already, in two years, reduced mine by over 50%, which has really made life a lot more bearable. And, I'm still very tempted to get real extreme and sell my home (or rent it out and let someone else carry it) and move into my travel trailer, which would reduce my cost to live by an additional 66%. I could actually cover rent and all utilities (including Internet access and cable TV) for about $600/mo. That's pretty extreme, but I keep returning to the thought about all the cash I could amass that way. It's always in the back of my mind...

Cost of living seems to be the most manageable component of survival right now.

I wonder what percent of folks in China own their house.

It is kinda funny that you mention that. I just saw a piece in the news about some ridiculous traffic jamb - apparently many Many miles long, due to an accident and all the cars on the under-developed roads there today. It seems that the Chinese are beginning their 'kid in a candy store" day when it comes to money and things, whether the infra-structure is ready or not.

I keep thinking we are about to watch Chinese people re-enact us to a degree (less of course a lot of liberties). But even when it comes to liberty, it's going to be interesting to witness what kinds of pressure the people can and will exert on the government.

Here's what I think is happening,

The economy tanked and a bunch of the guys that lost their jobs in the construction sector decided that they'd make dandy home inspectors and immediately took advantage of the new crop of shake-n-bake home inspector schools. Now they find themselves minus thousands of dollars in fees paid out to schools and costs of ramping up and they are trying to break into a depressed market where agents, due to increased liability risk these days, aren't willing to refer them because they're afraid that, because of their inexperience, they'll kill deals.

Yeah, they probably are starving; but at $100 a pop? Hell, they'd probably have made more money collecting an unemployment check than they'll make at that rate - especially if they screw one thing up and word gets around about 'em.

Some guy carped last week because my fee was $225 above the highest other quote he'd gotten. I asked him why he'd called me. He answered because he'd gotten very enthusiastic recommendations for me from several of his friends and co-workers. I asked him, "So, no recommendations from realtors? Who recommended the other inspectors to you?" He answered, "Realtors." I said, "So, there you go. Do I need to say anything else?" He booked. I'm leaving here in 30 minutes to do his job.

I know it's tough guys but we seasoned inspectors must hold the line on our fees and refuse to allow ourselves to be low-balled into bankruptcy or our profession to be taken over by a bunch of 1-hour inspection checklist-totin bucketheads fresh from a shake-n-bake academy and interested in only one thing - churning out as many cheap jobs as quickly as possible only as long as they need to in order to survive until the market recovers and construction jobs are back on the increase so they can return to knocking nails.

ONE TEAM - ONE FIGHT!!!

Mike