Keeping Yourself Occupied When Times Are Slow

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How do you know the dude in the photo is even Erby? This IS the internet. For all we know, the person who posts as Erby could be a sixteen-year old sucking on a Twizzler, while playing with Mom's computer.

That's real easy. This is a hi-tech website. Our software installs tactile sensors on the computers of anyone that posts here and is sophisticated enough to read an adult versus under-18 or spam poster. Whenever the software senses a spammer or someone under 18, it sends a tackion pulse back through the net and electrocutes the malefactor at his or her keyboard, turning him or her into a piece of barbecued meat and leaving no forensic evidence with which we can be linked to the persons crispy demise.

If Erby were an 18-year old he'd be resting comfortably in a box contemplating the satin lining by now. [:-devil]

ONE TEAM - ONE FIGHT!!!

Mike

How do you know the dude in the photo is even Erby? This IS the internet. For all we know, the person who posts as Erby could be a sixteen-year old sucking on a Twizzler, while playing with Mom's computer.

That's real easy. This is a hi-tech website. Our software installs tactile sensors on the computers of anyone that posts here and is sophisticated enough to read an adult versus under-18 or spam poster. Whenever the software senses a spammer or someone under 18, it sends a tackion pulse back through the net and electrocutes the malefactor at his or her keyboard, turning him or her into a piece of barbecued meat and leaving no forensic evidence with which we can be linked to the persons crispy demise.

If Erby were an 18-year old he'd be resting comfortably in a box contemplating the satin lining by now. [:-devil]

ONE TEAM - ONE FIGHT!!!

Mike

Ha, ha. Well done.

Still though, Erby's supposed to live and work about 15 miles from Lexington, but I've never seen him, never spoken to him, never heard anyone else refer to him . . . It's a little odd. He's like the . . . shadow inspector.

Must have installed those sensors in the last three years. Didn't bother me at all the first five years I was entertaining myself here.

Clone, don't think so! You don't really expect me to put a picture of ME on my website do you. The customer's would think I didn't have any experience. Isn't that what a lot of inspectors do, put up a good looking picture instead of the real thing!

I"m way to young to look that old!

You coulda met me John, if you'd taken me up on that cup of coffee! Now I'm too busy playing with the ladies. (Don't tell my wife!)

Click to Enlarge
tn_20101019212924_clone1.jpg

13.74 KB

-

Click to Enlarge
tn_20101019214010_Age%20Cheese.jpg

25.44 KB

Hey, that one's been around for a long time, just like the lady in colorado who does home inspections that include searching for ghosts.

I'm spending some slow time developing a new marketing theme.

What you think?

Click to Enlarge
tn_2010101815750_joke.jpg

39.82 KB

On second thought, maybe I should just go read a history book!

-

Erby, that sure is a big screwdriver!

Yeah, the one on his belt is pretty impressive too. [:)]

If they say size doesn't matter, they haven't seen Erby's toolbag.

That screwdriver's too big to sit on so you'll never punch a hole in the truck seat. The headliner, maybe, but not the seat.

At least it'll be an easy transition from that screwdriver to a walking stick.

Does it come with an attachment for your armpit? [:)]

OK, it's slowed down again. Had two inspections scheduled for this week, but one postponed - electricity not on. Looks like I'm ending October with the lowest number of October inspections in 5 years. Phone is really quiet, so when it rang yesterday I jumped on it. Now I'm in Maryland, only advertise in Maryland, but this lady calls from Florida, asks if I do inspections in Florida (???). Seems she has a friend here that recommended me, didn't know if my company had an office in Florida. I told her no, but maybe in the future - - -

I've been in a slump too. Hopefully I'll complete at least two this week. Right now I'm working on the report from yesterday's inspection. One that was scheduled this morning was canceled at 4:45 pm yesterday, supposedly because it didn't appraise high enough.

Monday, I got a call from a realtor I've never heard of. She said an attorney (who I've never heard of) recommended me. Her first question was 'how much do I charge'. She said she'd have to talk to her buyer who is in California and asked if I could hold Wednesday PM for her. I agreed. Haven't heard back from her.

I do have a nice one scheduled for Friday that I'm really looking forward to. It's 15 year old, 6,300 sf, built around a salvaged bank barn frame along with a good size outbuilding utilizing logs from a (supposedly) 270 year old structure. The buyer is a well-heeled repeat client, so I'm counting on this one actually happening.

I've been in a slump too. Hopefully I'll complete at least two this week. Right now I'm working on the report from yesterday's inspection. One that was scheduled this morning was canceled at 4:45 pm yesterday, supposedly because it didn't appraise high enough.

Monday, I got a call from a realtor I've never heard of. She said an attorney (who I've never heard of) recommended me. Her first question was 'how much do I charge'. She said she'd have to talk to her buyer who is in California and asked if I could hold Wednesday PM for her. I agreed. Haven't heard back from her.

I do have a nice one scheduled for Friday that I'm really looking forward to. It's 15 year old, 6,300 sf, built around a salvaged bank barn frame along with a good size outbuilding utilizing logs from a (supposedly) 270 year old structure. The buyer is a well-heeled repeat client, so I'm counting on this one actually happening.

I always avoid the "How much do you charge?" question when it's posed by the realtor. It's yet another method of retaining control of "the deal." Your quoted price may not be accurately repeated to the buyer, or the realtor may tell her toady inspector to come in twenty bucks cheaper.

People are learning, though. I booked a job yesterday for a young woman who found me on the internet. Her realtor recommended someone else, but the buyer didn't trust the realtor enough to take her suggestion.

I've been digging out shrub roots in the the front and rear flowerbeds.

Been digging and tracking the sprinkler lines in the beds to pull them up before I hit it with the tiller.

Time available ... so am redoing the beds.

October has provided only 5 inspections.

Slowest I've been in over 8 years.

Five here. Barely covers my overhead.

Marc

If I may join this open mike.

I had 4 inspections in Sept.

I've had an avalanche of inspections this week - 3, so there is a God. I won't total Oct. till Halloween. I want it to be a surprise.

On the upside, since I’m doing more and more real labor (not to put down you HI wimps), I’m really getting to know where all my tools and hardware are, and my trade life of the past is more organized which is pretty cool. I’m also remembering how heavy all this shit is.

Anyway, here is a recent art-is-life self-portrait. Enjoy.

Click to Enlarge
tn_2010102913222_for%20sale%20proof_Vga.jpg

67.28 KB

I've been deader than disco for the past couple of weeks. The only bright side is: I got really sick this week and didn't miss any work because of it.

Hi Jimmy,

Sorry to hear that. I hope it picks up your way soon. New England always seems to take these economic slumps disproportionately hard. I wonder why that is.

Stay well, Cuz. Use hand sanitizer.

ONE TEAM - ONE FIGHT!!!

Mike