Tapcon concrete bolts

What do you think of the Tapcon large diameter anchors? Good enough to bolt a 400lb 5' tall safe to a concrete floor?

Click to Enlarge
tn_201082913191_large-diameter-tapcon-hex.jpg

11.43 KB

Click to Enlarge
tn_2010829131920_LDT_sawtooth_thread.jpg

22.25 KB

I wouldn't have a problem with the bolt itself, since the critical consideration is usually shear, which should be huge on a bolt like that. But, if you really mean to bolt into the edge of a concrete floor, I wouldn't feel to comfortable with that, fearing that the floor may actually split apart.

I haven't seen the bolt before, but I like it.

It wont be located anywhere near an edge. 48 year old basement slab without a single flaw. I doubt the concrete will break up. I was mainly wondering about the threads ability to grab the edges of the hole so they wont pull out. I suppose if you wanted to pull them out, you'de have to pull striaght up. That wont be easy with a 400lb box.

I recently used the Tapcon screws to hang shef brackets on block and in mortar joints. They went in easy and are holding well.

http://www.concretescrews.com/

You really should only be using those in the block itself. They don't hold as well in mortar joints.

I've never seen the big ones either, but I don't think I'd hesitate to use them on that safe. That is, if you can get them to go into the hole without breaking your wrist with the drill. If somebody wants it bad enough, Your not going to stop them from taking it, no matter what it's bolted with.

Edit. You have a 400# safe and you need to bolt it down Why?

I recently used the Tapcon screws to hang shef brackets on block and in mortar joints. They went in easy and are holding well.

http://www.concretescrews.com/

You really should only be using those in the block itself. They don't hold as well in mortar joints.

I've never seen the big ones either, but I don't think I'd hesitate to use them on that safe. That is, if you can get them to go into the hole without breaking your wrist with the drill. If somebody wants it bad enough, Your not going to stop them from taking it, no matter what it's bolted with.

Edit. You have a 400# safe and you need to bolt it down Why?

If a safe can be pushed over onto its back it becomes easier to get leverage on a big pry bar. In it's upright position, attempts to pry the door will not be nearly as easy.

The store didn't have the Tapcons in the size I wanted so I went with Red Head anchor studs.

BTW, I never said this was "my" safe. Anyway, the job is done.