Residential Architectural Styles

Does anyone, per chance, have an outstanding link or PDF (preferable), that catalogs the various past classic home designs, i.e., Victorian, Federal, Cape, etc with pictures and brief descriptions? There seem to be quite a few out there on the Internet, but most of them are really lacking. What I'm looking for would be closer to an encyclopedia of home architecture.

Thanks in advance, as always.

Mike

A Field Guide to American Houses, by McAlester.

No, no, no, no. Please don't spend money on this book. It's got incorrect information. Real architectural historians have said it's got stuff in there that's made up. I literally threw my copy away.

You want to start with Identifying American Architecture by John Blumenson (one of the top architectural historians in North America). Next, read American Houses by Gerald Foster, a professor of architectural history at Harvard Grad School of design, UMass & Boston Architectural center.

Mike, did you get my reply to your email?

No, no, no, no. Please don't spend money on this book. It's got incorrect information. Real architectural historians have said it's got stuff in there that's made up. I literally threw my copy away.

You want to start with Identifying American Architecture by John Blumenson (one of the top architectural historians in North America). Next, read American Houses by Gerald Foster, a professor of architectural history at Harvard Grad School of design, UMass & Boston Architectural center.

Now that you ask, Bill, in scouring my inbox I realize that I did receive a return e-mail form you. I somehow missed it. A thousand apologies.

Thanks for your response.

Examples?

I'll check em out.

- Jim Katen, Oregon