Camouflage in Nature

I'm used to seeing them as green as can be. It's easy to forget how well they change to match the surface they're on. The photos don't do this mantis justice. The detailed replication of the surface it was on was amazing - little speckles of black with black ridges on it's legs, all of which could turn as green as a leaf in a matter of minutes. It's remarkable that a mindless creature has the ability to do such a thing.

Ah Jim, I'm sorry. I've just been so busy doing other interesting things that I haven't had time to complete my online course for sexual identification of a praying mantis.

My apologies and thank you for clarifying the proper sex identification!

[:-monkeyd[:-monkeyd[:-monkeyd

Ah Jim, I'm sorry. I've just been so busy doing other interesting things that I haven't had time to complete my online course for sexual identification of a praying mantis.

My apologies and thank you for clarifying the proper sex identification!

[:-monkeyd[:-monkeyd[:-monkeyd

As I said, I've been involved with a few. The females are TOTALLY into eating the males . . .

This fellow wasn't bothering with camouflage. I guess he was too busy eating! . . .

That'd be a she . . .

I've dated a few of those, but I survived. Barely.

I thought it, but wasn't going to say it. Haha... True that...

I thought he meant the doe, at least I think it's a doe, but I can't see the shoes. [:)]

That's a pretty good bet, since bucks are all horny the majority of the year... [:-tophat]