reflection damage on siding

John Dirks Jr

Edit.

The vinyl siding on the northwest side of the home is deformed in a diagonal pattern that looks like the same pattern known to occur as a result of thermal distortion caused by the reflection of radiant heat. This usually is caused by, but not limited to the reflection of sunlight from a nearby window.

Because of the weather conditions at time of the inspection, I was unable to confirm this as the cause or determine the exact point of the source. For more information on this go to.......

Then, go kick your neighbor's ass.

Edit.

The vinyl siding on the northwest side of the home is deformed in a diagonal pattern that looks like the same pattern known to occur as a result of thermal distortion caused by the reflection of radiant heat. This usually is caused by, but not limited to the reflection of sunlight from a nearby window.

Because of the weather conditions at time of the inspection, I was unable to confirm this as the cause or determine the exact point of the source. For more information on this go to.......

Sunlight is reflecting off of your neighbor's window & causing your siding to melt.

- Jim Katen, Oregon

Edit.

Sunlight is reflecting off of your neighbor's window & causing your siding to melt.

- Jim Katen, Oregon

The buyer was told it was the likely cause.

I can't write it. I didn't see it happening and I can't prove it.

The problem with something like this is, do you suggest "repair", probably not, what's the point unless you recommend "planting a tree". I like that one. There's not much point in "monitor". Looking at it wont help. I've created my own comment for times like these "be aware". In other words "I don't know what the h___ to do about it"

I'm with Jim but I'd add a suggestion on how to learn more about it, rather than leave the reader hanging with a question on their mind.

Marc

You mean like where it says this?

For more information on this go to.......

You're with Jim about what, Marc? Did you you read my original question or anything else?

Jim had pictures of it happening in real time. I had a wet ass and nothing to provide as evidence of what I know damn well was going on, but can't prove if the shit were to hit the fan. Understand now?

I took this photo this summer on a new-construction (Baltimore County, Md) inspection. This was early in the morning and the home I was inspecting had windows reflecting on the home next door. The temperature of the siding in the shade was 70 degrees, in the center of the "stars" it was 160. The construction super said they had had similar problems on several other homes and had switched out the offending windows, but in one case the homeowner refused. The damaged home owner took them to court and the super said the judge ruled that the contractor was obligated to offer to replace the windows, but if the owner of the home doing the damage refused, then that home owner was liable for damage to the other home. Yes, I wrote "be aware that - - "

Click to Enlarge
tn_20101017114134_DSCN8645.jpg

53.32 KB

You're with Jim about what, Marc? Did you you read my original question or anything else?

Jim had pictures of it happening in real time. I had a wet ass and nothing to provide as evidence of what I know damn well was going on, but can't prove if the shit were to hit the fan. Understand now?

About this:

Marc

About this:

Marc

I agree too, Marc. That is, if I could prove it.

Good job. You're up to 1261 now.

I took this photo this summer on a new-construction (Baltimore County, Md) inspection. This was early in the morning and the home I was inspecting had windows reflecting on the home next door. The temperature of the siding in the shade was 70 degrees, in the center of the "stars" it was 160. The construction super said they had had similar problems on several other homes and had switched out the offending windows, but in one case the homeowner refused. The damaged home owner took them to court and the super said the judge ruled that the contractor was obligated to offer to replace the windows, but if the owner of the home doing the damage refused, then that home owner was liable for damage to the other home. Yes, I wrote "be aware that - - "

Click to Enlarge
tn_20101017114134_DSCN8645.jpg

53.32 KB

Have you a link to the court case?

• 2 weeks later...

Here is a report I did on a consultation for this; maybe it is of some use in defining the problem.

This did go to arbitration but no fault was found with the builder of the home that was experiencing problems.

The grass apparently get heat lines in it in the summer; i have not witnessed this first hand.

Download Attachment: icon_adobe.gif Rihmnd -3.7mb .pdf

1759.29 KB