Implied Command (Imperative Mood) Word Bank

I've used this a few times:

'Remedy the......'

Does anyone know of an authoritative source that I can use when I face up with some bigwig about using active voice, present tense and imperative mood when writing reports?

Marc

Marc,

I don't know why I didn't connect the dots sooner, but here is a very credible source regarding present tense and imperative mood when writing any form of business correspondence.

I know I keep bringing this organization up but, it is what you need as a reference and here is why:

From their "About us" page: "Fred Pryor Seminars and CareerTrack, divisions of PARK University Enterprises, Inc., create one of the most respected international providers of professional seminars. Since pioneering the one-day seminar in 1970 as Fred Pryor Seminars, our organization has built a reputation for high-quality, convenient, and practical business-skills training around the world, in every industry and sector.

Today, with more than 8 million satisfied customers, we continue to pride ourselves in providing the superior training you've come to expect from Fred Pryor Seminars and CareerTrack. Our cutting-edge research and course development are designed to meet the adult learning needs of your employees and your organization."

And specific to your question, here is a link to a seminar that addresses in detail active voice and imperative mood, as the most effective way to communicate, in business. On the link below you'll find the following statement: "Understand the difference between the active and passive voice — and why voice is one of the most essential elements in business writing"

http://careertrack.com/mkt_info/seminar ... itingStyle

I've attended the above seminar twice, once as a salesman and conceptual designer for a Design/Build Contractor, and I took my son again recently.

Over the past twenty-five years, I've attended five of their seminars and own several of their CDs, which are always outstanding.

And, for those of you needing part time employment, Fred Pryor is ALWAYS looking for competent speakers to travel and teach on their behalf within a region. Apparently the pay is pretty decent. I've contemplated applying a couple of times myself.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just for fun, here are a couple of marvelous example of the use of active voice from past American and world history.

The first is offered up by Ben Franklin and it flawlessly drives home a point. While he doesn't use the imperative mood, it still demonstrates the power of short, simple and direct sentences used in active voice. Notice he does not waste a single word.

The setting is a debate regarding a proposal to limit voting to property owners. The intent was to take away the vote from the less privileged - the alleged low lifers.

Ben Franklin realized that even the speech of politicians opposed to the proposal was so full of pomp and legalistic formality that the common man would never fully grasp the gravity of the situation to be moved to rally behind the cause. So, Ben employed all his normal wit, charm, humor and efficiency with words to drive home his point in a fashion that even the simplest folks could understand:

"To require property of voters leads us to this dilemma: I own a jackass. I can vote. The jackass dies. I can't vote. Therefore, the vote represents not me, but the jackass."

Needless to say, we are not required to own property in order to vote to this day.

The second example of active voice, which also beautifully employs imperative mood: "Mr. Gorbachev, tear down this wall."

Do you suppose the wall would have come down if he had said, "Mr. Gorgachev, this structure of concrete, masonry, steel and barbed wire is a constant reminder of isolation and oppression. On behalf of the people of the world, I ask you to consider dismantling it, so the world will plainly see that your country is serious about perestroika."

. . . The second example of active voice, which also beautifully employs imperative mood: "Mr. Gorbachev, tear down this will."

(Ahem, cough, cough.)

Do you suppose the wall would have come down if he had said, "Mr. Gorgachev, this structure of concrete, masonry, steel and barbed wire is a constant reminder of isolation and oppression. On behalf of the people of the world, I ask you to consider dismantling it, so the world will plainly see that your country is serious about perestroika."

President Regan's statement was a splendid example of the imperative, but, I doubt that it had anything to do with the removal of the Berlin Wall.

. . . The second example of active voice, which also beautifully employs imperative mood: "Mr. Gorbachev, tear down this will."

(Ahem, cough, cough.)

President Regan's statement was a splendid example of the imperative, but, I doubt that it had anything to do with the removal of the Berlin Wall.

Well, it IS rather difficult to imagine the crowd of 45,000 that was in attendance going absolutely bonkers over the second speech.

It seems the challenge surprised Gorby, as did the crowds reaction to it. (I know it's thread drift and appears a bit political, but politics certainly isn't my aim at all I just couldn't come up with another statement from anyone that was quite that blatantly active voice, and in this case, definitely "implied command". ;-)

The aim is results and while the wall didn't come down until 29 months later, and as you point out the speech might not have had much to do with the wall coming down, but the crowds went crazy.

Any other similar examples of emperatives are fine. In fact, for the sake of balance: "Ask not what your country can do for you; Ask what you can do for your country." [:-tophat]

(Ahem, cough, cough.)

The USSR was broke and the economy in collapse - given enough time the wall would have fallen down on its own.

(Ahem, cough, cough.)

The USSR was broke and the economy in collapse - given enough time the wall would have fallen down on its own.

We're next.

(Ahem, cough, cough.)

Nah, we're the original innovators... What you talkin' 'bout, Willis... [:-snorkel

Ahem, ahem, cough, cough, cough, cough.

Did Regan not like the way that Mr. Gorbachev planned to distribute his belongings after his death?

- Jim Katen, Oregon

OK, that had me laughing for a moment, because I'm feeling pretty ignorant. I made the original post innocent of any political innuendos and I, honestly, don't know what you're talking about or where your going. But, I'm interested in hearing the apparent "rest of the story". Maybe to avoid a major violation of the forum rules, you should PM me. And, I promise I'll be all ears. I'm basically like the Hacowe Indians of "F Troop" - a lover, not a fighter. (Eh, not that I can't fight Lord, knows I did my share of it in the schools on the outskirts of Washington, DC), I just decided to retire early from stress and drama. [:-tophat]

Ah, finally... Ya had me going there... a misspelling. Got it! Whew! I thought you were getting political on me, but then, I KNEW that couldn't be possible for undisclosed reasons. [:-hspin]

I'll fix it now. Hey, somebody's got to keep you and Chad on your toes. I'm happy to oblige...